Need help forwarding ports on dual router config

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shattered_likeness, Oct 3, 2006.

1. shattered_likeness

shattered_likeness Private E-2

I am using a Westell 6100 DSL router for internet connection, but it is not wireless. So i run a Netgear WGR614 v4 behind it to enable wireless networking throughout my home. Just getting this to work took me 2 hours last night with Bellsouth and Netgear to get it configured for internet access. I was finally told to run the netgear router as a LAN ip(?). I don't exactly understand ho it works, but it seems to be doing the job.

Now the problem lies in trying to forward a couple of ports through both routers. I have already tried the (overly technical) explanation on portforward.com (http://portforward.com/help/doublerouterportforwarding.htm) , but that is a bit more than I can understand.

Can anyone help with this?? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

First, you have to install the system with the correct topology.

Option 1. If possible, set the Westell to act as a simple Modem/Bridge and use the Netgear as you main Router.

Option 2. Leave the Westell as is and use the Netgear as a switch with an Access Point.

See here, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

Which ever option you choose (out of these two) you would have only one Routing system and ports need to be forward only in one device.

:D

3. rosewoodtech

rosewoodtech Private E-2

i bet you ran into an ip issue. by design router only talk to router and will not forward traffic on its own subnet. ex. bellsouth 192.168.1.1 netgear 192.168.1.2 traffic from the netgear will not be sent to the bellsouth router because they are on the same subnet. to fix it leave bellsouth on whatever ip it is set for. change the ip address of the netgar to 192.168.2.1. all your forwarding issues will disapear

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds