Need help games keep crashing PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by darriola2185, Mar 31, 2010.

1. darriola2185

darriola2185 Private E-2

Lately everytime I play games the screen gets a bunch of lines and the PC crashes and restarts itself. I have tried reinstalling graphic drivers, cleaning and reinstalling RAM and Video Cards. But so far nothing. Even went as far as reinstalling Windows and formating the hard drive. When my PC restarts it displays this unexpected error...

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 7f
    BCP1: 0000000D
    BCP2: 00000000
    BCP3: 00000000
    BCP4: 00000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\033110-22916-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-29047-0.sysdata.xml

Can anyone tell me what this means. I have already run registry cleaner and defragged the hard. I am desperate at this point and want to quit. Can anyone please help, Thanks. :confused

2. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Re: Need help, Games keep crashing my PC

Please post your system spec's might help.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

So your machine is clean of dust bunnies then? That's always the first thing to check when having issues gaming is heat. You seem to know your way around the hardware so how old is it, have you checked the video card's temperature? Can you post your minidump file enclosed in # tags as in top right of the reply post?

Sounds to me that your video is going.

4. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Firstly, download this.

http://majorgeeks.com/GPU-Z_d5796.html

It should tell you/us the name and model of your graphics card, it also has a temperature sensor on it for your Graphics card

Can you clarify what you means by "A bunch of lines"?

It's possible and probable if it only happens when gaming that your Graphics card is dying or certainly having issues.
    Especially if these lines are red, green , blue etc or 3D looking straight lines to the centre of the screen, graphical tears or artifacting.

How long can you play a game for?

What games?
    Different games will put different stress levels on your card so some may last longer than others. Dropping the in-game video settings down low and testing it to see if it runs any longer is a good idea.

Also, has this only just started to happen, have you moved your PC or upgraded it?

5. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Building on Ned's post, do you have access to an alternate graphics card, maybe a loaner, that you can test playing a game with and see if it changes anything? That would tell you for sure if you need to upgr-- um, replace the card, or if it's something else.

6. darriola2185

darriola2185 Private E-2

Sorry about that, the lines are vertical acrross the entire screen and and rainbow colored. My PC is only about a year old. I'm running Cross Fire with two Sapphire radeon 4850's. This only just started a couple of weeks ago. Crashing is random through different games, some as soo as it starts others after an hour or two. The latest ones that have been crashing is Napoleon Total War, Metro 2033, and Settlers 7. I have dropped the graphics to nothing and doesn't change the issue.

7. darriola2185

darriola2185 Private E-2

No unfortunatley I don't was probablly going to get a new card, but I wanted to make sure that was this issue before dropping money on it.

8. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Crossfired 4850's eh, nice.
    Although that will produce a lot of heat and the top card will be sucking most of the heat generated from the bottom card.
    My son has a 4850 but doesn't have a good case and so it runs a bit warm, 2 together will tripple the heat hovering around and in the cards due to lack of airflow between the cards themselves.

Download and install GPUz from the link above and give us the temp readings.
    It would be helpful to get readings from desktop idle and then fire up a game, play it for a few minutes or as long as you can in a stable manner and then minimize it to get the in-game temp readings.

It's also possible that your cross fire cable may be faulty or become unstable in some way, but with the lines you mention I would say heat issues.

At this point the best idea after getting temps, would be to test them individually. This may give you an indication of which one is problematic.

What kind of cooling do you have and what kind of case?
    Also what power supply do you have?

In fact, just post your system specs lol

If it is one of your cards, with the problems you have described there's little hope of saving it, the good news is 4850's are quite a bit cheaper now than a year ago, half price, maybe lower at some places.

9. darriola2185

darriola2185 Private E-2

Sorry, Running...

Mainboard MSI K9A2 Platinum 790FX
    AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition Overclocked to 3.0ghz
    Corsair XMS2 4096MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz
    Cross Fire Setup with Two Saphire Radeon 4850's

I have tried reseating, and reinstalling all drivers, also lowering graphics in games and no changes.

10. darriola2185

darriola2185 Private E-2

I built this system about a year ago, heat is stable, I do keep a clean machine was the first thing i checked. I tried cleaning and reseating first but didn't do anything.

11. jbdeception

jbdeception Private E-2

try a different game and see what happens. also create a restore point just in case.

12. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

I agree but would restore to a point prior to this games installation, could very well be a glitch in the game its self.

13. jbdeception

jbdeception Private E-2

If you Bought the game and your using the cd Maybe something went wrong when you were installing the game or if you need to use the cd every time you play , the cd might be scratch or something.

14. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Oooops! I see it is all games, I would go after recent installs one at a time.

15. darriola2185

darriola2185 Private E-2

Mainboard MSI K9A2 Platinum 790FX
    AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition Overclocked to 3.0ghz
    Corsair XMS2 4096MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz
    Cross Fire Setup with Two Saphire Radeon 4850's
    Apevia Full Tower 4 120mm case fans and ULTRA X-WIND COPPER FAN K8/AM2/AM2+/AM3 for cpu.
    Ultra X3 1000w PSU
    Running windows 7 ultimate 32bit

ran gpuz, sits at 60 C idle, and jumps to about 70.5 during gamming tested on Napolean Total war after 20min.

16. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

temps look fine. have you tried with only 1 card installed to see if it still happens?
    I would also try some other hardware tests to rule them out, like memtest, and a hard drive SMART utility. also, do you have anything overclocked? even the gpu's, some come factory overclocked, and you can dial them down to ati's recommended settings to see if it helps.

17. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Hmmm 70 is a little high but nothing to really worry about.

PSU is good.

Case is good.

If it was just crashing games and only certain ones I would say it's the game, but I have Nap:TW and yes it crashes occasionally, but these lines are a concern. Plus the fact you have been running this system fine with no changes would suggest to me GFX card hardware issues. I have seen it personally and it was caused by a dying card.

Ok, best thing I can suggest at this point is to seperate the cards and test them individually like I said earlier. See what happens then. I know it's a pain but I don't see much choice.

You could run some kind of benchmark test like 3D mark and monitor the temps while it runs.

But seperating the cards would probably give you a definitive answer as to whether it's your cards.

It's also possible your xfire slot has gone pear shaped, but unlikely.

Edit: Smokingguns idea with the memtest etc is a good one too. These lines are what bothers me though.

18. darriola2185

darriola2185 Private E-2

Going to try just using just one card next. The cards are standard not overclocked only the cpu is overclocked.

19. darriola2185

darriola2185 Private E-2

Aye single out the cards is my next move. I'll post as soon as try it out.

20. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Bring that badboy back down to stock, one has to eliminate all possible causes first and that is a glaring one.

21. darriola2185

darriola2185 Private E-2

Ok brought everything down to stock, both cards work good stand alone, now the issue seems to crossfire. I switched out the bridge with a different one but still no better. I'm guessing maybe the connectors on one of the cards is has gone bad, but no way to single out unless I get a third card.

22. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Bad crossfire support in the games? When SLI was new it was hell to try and game stable with it...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds