Need help getting info off hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bschase999, Jul 16, 2005.

1. bschase999

bschase999 Private E-2

My IBM laptop was thrown on the ground; hard drive and LCD were damaged. Got a new LCD, now I need to get my files to another hard drive.
    Will not boot and IBM diagnostics found multiple errors, not surprising. I pulled the drive out and put it in a USB enclosure, Using another computer I can see the data but the documents folder shows 0 bites. The PC was password protected and I assume that’s why it won't let me have access.
    I used a trial program, ontrack easy recovery pro 6.04 it lets me see my files inside of my documents but to extract them you have to buy the full version at $399.00. My info is not worth that much. I also looked at File recovery angel 1.12 its price is only $49.95 but you can only recover deleted files. I guess I could format the drive and then recover the files but I prefer not going that route. I looked to see if there is some way put my password in or delete it but haven't had any luck.
    I thought about trying to reload windows XP Pro or trying to repair it, thinking it might write the missing info to good sectors and then let me get at, and transfer my files.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. bschase999

bschase999 Private E-2

Halo,Thanks for the help.

I took ownership of the folders as you suggested.
    That did it, I now can access and copy files.
    Now I can order a new hard drive.
    I am going to get the 7200 rpm from Hitachi, that should speed things up and make my IBM seem like a new computer.

Thanks again

4. DavidGP

neat :)

glad that did the trick... always a good feeling when you recover data you think you've lost?

yeah the speedy new HD should work a treat... BTW Welcome to MGs

5. bschase999

bschase999 Private E-2

Halo,

Thanks again, I got the new HD in. The software loaded and copied my files off the old HD. I didn't loose much at all.

6. DavidGP

Glad it all worked out and not too much data was lost.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds