Need help getting my monitor to work with new graphic card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cruzinbug, Aug 20, 2005.

1. cruzinbug

cruzinbug Private E-2

I'm not the best computer guy around but I believe in doing my own work. Maybe someone can help with my problem. I've got an IBM 300pl, pentium III, 667mhz, 192 ram, win98se. I took out a DVI-I card that my Dell E771p monitor was running on and install an S3 Inc. Savage IV graphic card. The guy at my local shop told me it would plug into my agp slot just fine which it did. It will not let the monitor work. Gives a "104k 197 Hz Frequency out of range" error. I've tried using another monitor, putting the old card back in deleting all the devices having to do with the monitor shutting down and then reinstalling the new card, messed around in the bios. I can barely see anything in the bios while using the S3. I'm at a loss. Can't boot into windows in safe mode while the card is in to change any of the display stuff around. Can anyone help out this computer dummie?

2. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

It sounds like to me whatever resolution and refresh rate you had set on the monitor the new card will not support put the old card in and right click on the screen and change to lower settings and try it again.

3. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

try using your old card to bring your resolution to like 800x600 or the lowest setting, your refresh rate to the lowest and the color quality to 16 bit. install the new card and see if it works.

Also, did you delete all the drivers for your old card?

4. cruzinbug

cruzinbug Private E-2

The resolution is set at 640x480 16 colors. Don't know how to change the refresh rate. In fact that's the only resolution setting I have with the old card.
    I deleted all of the drivers and started from scratch. Still nothing. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

to change the refresh rate goto Display Properties > Settings > advanced > monitor

6. cruzinbug

cruzinbug Private E-2

It does not give me an option to change the refresh rate.

7. cruzinbug

cruzinbug Private E-2

I'm at my wits end...any other ideas? Anyone?

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Its sounds as though your monitor isnt plug and play compatible so,first install the drivers for your monitor you will need these especially on win 98se,you can use your old card to search for them on the web,if you can find out the specs of it post them here,also check the win 98 update for the latest P+P drivers and updates,if you cant find the driver for your monitor try this,download this prog

http://majorgeeks.com/RefreshForce_d1847.html

Press f8 to enter safe mode,while in safe mode run the program this will find the fastest resolutions supported by your card and monitor and set them perminantly :)

9. cruzinbug

cruzinbug Private E-2

I have the driver for the monitor installed. Got it from Dell website. The monitor is plug and play so I think that's not the issue. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/819et/en/spec/spec.htm
    I have plug and play enabled on win98se and in my bios. I have gone through the steps to enter windows in safe mode but the screen will not show me anything other than the "frequency out of range" message. I can here the harddrive working and it sounds just like a normal bootup. Installing the old card everything works fine but there is no option to change the refresh rate. At this moment I'm leaning towards a defective card. I just want to be sure before I go and exchange it for another one. The guy at the computer place where I got the card is a big jerk so I have to have my ducks in a row when I go in there. Thanks in advance for any other advice anyone may have.

10. cruzinbug

cruzinbug Private E-2

So the card worked in another machine. I guess it's not defective. Any other ideas? Anyone?

11. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

M8 thats a really old card your not at that much of a loss I hate giving up an a problem but sometimes things dont work together,escpecially old hardware that would have been compatibility tested in one machine and then off to the shelves,the best course of action is just to swap it out for another "different" card may I ask how much you payed for the card?

BTW did you try running the card without the vidcard drivers installed but in normal not safe mode?

12. cruzinbug

cruzinbug Private E-2

I got rid of and divers and anything to do with the display. Didn't help. Loaded a driver for my monitor. Didn't help. I think the card is just not compatiable.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds