need help identifying a program

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sheena, Mar 16, 2012.

1. sheena

sheena Corporal

Because Google was saying too much traffic was coming from my ip address, which has a DIAL UP connection, 'pcunite', a member, advised that I run a program called 'tcp' view to get a better idea of what was being sent from my computer. Well, I am technically challenged, but did my best. 'Tcp view' showed me the processes going out onto the net, and most of them said they were from microsoft, or some aspect of my isp. The only one that wasn't was a process that I just took for granted belonged as it has been on my computer for a long time. It is called 'surveyor sd', it's ip address is listed by tcp view as being 66.152.109-84.tvc, at remote port 5600. When I clicked on properties it said it was a surveyor sp service module, a product put out by a company called EZ Conserve, inc. I googled all these things and could find no information, which surprised me. Can anyone identify this program and tell me what it does, please? Another thing I didn't understand was called 'system 4', but said it was from microsoft. Can malware disguise itself as being from a legit company when you click the properties tab in programs like tcp view? If so what good is this to the average user?
    Thanks,
    Sheena

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Seeing as the items you mention are not easily findable on the internet and to me do not jump out as ligit apps, then I would suspect malware, especially as you have been told too much traffic is coming from your PC,

Yes malware can disguise itself and what good to the normal user, well its not as you are not like 99% of PC users going to know whats legit or not, thats the pitfall of malware.

But I would suggest you follow the below and see what our malware experts find, if anything, if they dont post back to this thread and we can try other routes, to see whats going on, dont knwo what at present, but its worth making sure you are malware free first.

3. sheena

sheena Corporal

Thanks DavidGP.
    I just disabled the surveyor program in the task manager display of processes. No ill effects yet. Frankly my hesitation in running the 'read me run me' protocol is because I am not sure I have the necessary skill. But I will try when I have more time. All I can find on the web so far about this 'surveyor sd service module' is that it is by a company called 'Verdiem". [may have misspelled that] However, the program of the same name on my computer says it is by a company called 'EZ Conserve'. Two sites claiming to rate such a program in terms of safety disagree, one calling it unsafe and suggesting termination, the other saying it is safe. While it is terminated, it is still on my computer as I don't want to get rid of it till I know what it is. This program may have even been on my computer when I got it, about 5 years ago! Will see if my internet surfing gets any faster since terminating.
    Sheena

4. sheena

sheena Corporal

I have identified the program 'Surveyor SD.exe', put out by a firm called EZ Conserve. It is a legitimate program that was on my computer when I got it from a systems administrator. This program is used to monitor and regulate power useage on computers in a network [lan] for conservation purposes. The question for me is, of what use is it to my computer as I am not likely to ever be on a network. Task manager shows me that it is one of the higher users of memory, over 12000 k., and it loads at start-up. Is there any downside to my removing it from the computer? When I disable it, it comes back on when I boot.
    Sheena

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

I'd remove it and I can't think of any downside to it's removal. As you say, you are likely to never be on a network and power usage control for a single home computer is ridiculous.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds