Need help identifying external hard drive problem..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Texan, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Texan

Texan Private First Class

Hello. I have a 2TB WD My Book Essential external hard drive. I plug it in and my PC recognizes it, let's me unlock it, it displays the folders, contents and sub folder, files, etc but the recognition is slow, it takes a long time to index (I think that's the term.) When trying to play audio or video files it loads the media player but either doesn't play or plays for a moment and the media player can't read the file or stops responding. I've used various media players. (Zoom, VLC, Media Player Classic)
    This is on a Windows 8 gaming PC with lots of RAM, CPU speed, etc. I run a scan disc it says there are no errors.

When I put it on my Windows 7 laptop, the problem is similar but not as bad. Some folders I have no problem with but some index slowly and then the folder closed and the Auto Play pops up and I have to unlock the drive all over again.

What do you think could be going on?
    Do you know of a more advanced disk error / diagnostic/repair software that may help me?
    I'm afraid it's dying on me. If so I need to copy the files to another HD but in it's current state may be impossible.

Thanks for your time and any suggestions!

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Yeah run WD data lifeguard available at their website, it's the same version for all drives.

Could you explain what you mean by unlock it? Do you have some sort of WD security software or is it a windows 8 feature or some other security?

Connect the drive, in my computer right click, properties, security,edit, select your user name and give yourself full admin access.

Go to control panel, device manager and look for any red crosses or exclamation marks and post results.

How full is the drive? Make sure the drive is connected to a USB 3 output.

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Is it me Rikky, or does it not seem odd, that there has been a lot of people having issues with the WD My books. I have noticed a lot of issues being posted about them on not only here, but other forums.

4. Rikky

Dunno:confused

WD seem to be one of the most popular external or secondary drives so I would imagine that to be the case.

If I know someone has an external drive 9/10 it's either a My book or My passport and they usually get thrown all over the place and abused so that could be a factor.

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

You may be correct on the fact that people treat delicate electronics, like their car keys. Then again, when they throw their keys, they tend to damage the FOB. I have a Toshiba Canvio going on now something like three years. Never have had an issue with it.

Of course I do not just throw it down on the table, or on the couch when I get done. Usually stored in a side table, or connected on the NAS downstairs.

6. Texan

There is still 750GBs available. I was referring to the WD unlocker.exe. It's part of the HD's software. I didn't know it was optional when I set it up.

That WD data lifeguard is diagnostic only correct? If it decides something is wrong with the HD, I wonder how I will salvage it.

I treat my HDs fine. I have an older WD that works great and has been used more so maybe there is an issue with this model.

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

8. Rikky

It's doesn't salvage it other than a low level format or check disk but as Browniz said it lets you know there's a problem. Has it found a problem?

Don't use WD security software but keep in mind if it is encryption software and not just a password key everything you read and write from the drive has to be decrypted and encrypted by your cpu slowing down the the read write process.

I never use software like that since I don't work for MI5 and speed is the most important factor to me, if you using it to protect your family photo's, movies,music or college dissertations then your wasting good peformance on security you don't need.

9. Texan

I won't be back home until Monday night but will reply with updates then.

Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds