Need help installing 2000 & XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Krpto, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Krpto

Krpto Private E-2

Ok I just needed a complete walkthrough of how to install XP and 2000, i've done it before but I tried again and it screwed up and I dont feel like installing it 5 times till it actually works, what I Originally did was installed partition magic 8.0 and then partitioned my C: drive in half, and winXP was originally installed on C: now when doing the new partition I had selected the Install New OS option and that scrwed things up after it partitioned and I had installed the new OS, it wouldnt let me boot into XP then I changed some options in partition magic, and was able to boot from XP only now, then I wiped my new partition and installed 2000 a different way, by just creating a partition then going in and formatting the partition with the 2000 setup, after it was all installed I was unable to go into winXP it said a file was missing or something, and it was a file and folder that should not have been there, so if anyone can help I'd appreiciate it

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

You're sort of doing it backwards. When dual booting it is much easier to install the oldest OS first. Because it will just detect the settings needed and handle all the dual booting setings for you. (Well almost all anyways)

If it's at all possible I'd highly suggest wiping the drive, then installing 2000 and just insert the XP CD and select install new OS. If you do that it will setup the boot menu for you and dual boot it all by itself.

Doing it backwards is a lot more work to get going. It is possible to do backwards but every time I've tried it's been a huge pain in the ass, and it's been easier to just backup the newer OS, and then redo the entire machine.

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I have two dual boot PC's running W2K & XP pro.
    As coco said W2K first, on a primary partition, then XP on another primary partition.

Now you cant boot to XP, you can do XP repair install.
    I think another way is to repair MBR or something like that, maybe someone else can help with that, I would probably get ya lost.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds