Need help installing network controller driver for ibm thinkpad t42

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jmckinley712, May 17, 2012.

1. Jmckinley712

Jmckinley712 Private E-2

Im having a big problem finding and installing the correct software to get my laptops wifi capabilities back working again. I recently upgraded to windows xp and forgot to copy my drivers over before continuing and had to go back and find them all, but the only one im having a problem with is the network controller. Ive installed it once but got an error message saying "No network controller connections found on this computer"

2. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Did you install XP SP3? Most likely the SP3 installation will find the appropriate drivers for your machine.

4. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

The windows update does not find all the drivers this person needs trust me i know Xp and windows update and windows update only finds may be 1 to 4 updates this person needs lots of driver updates.That is way i gave them that link.

5. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , follow this !! :wave

Start - Run type this mmc devmgmt.msc - Ok - right click to yellow device - Properties - Details - scroll down the arrow finding Hardware ids - there is a code in the box , we need it ( select all - copy - paste ) the code here

6. Jmckinley712

Jmckinley712 Private E-2

Pci\ven_8086&dev_1043&subsys_25518086&rev_04
    pci\ven_8086&dev_1043&subsys_25518086
    pci\ven_8086&dev_1043&cc_028000
    pci\ven_8086&dev_1043&cc_0280

7. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

8. Jmckinley712

Jmckinley712 Private E-2

I've already installed this driver, it says all i need is the network controller but when i install it it says the error message as stated "No network controller connections found on this computer". And i dont have the wifi icon in the lower right of my screen as i should.

9. Jmckinley712

Jmckinley712 Private E-2

Thank you but the link for the driver you gave me i already had, i installed it again anyway.

10. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

11. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Can you try a manual install of this driver?

During the install, the driver components will have extracted to a location like C:\Drivers\WIN\WLLANINT\PROW2100\DRIVERS

From Device Manager, right-click on the malfunctioning network adapter, then select update drivers. Point the installer to that folder location above, and it should install the correct driver for that device.

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

First go in the bios, find the network setting and enable the internal wireless card.
    Then press Fn + F5 to turn on the wifi.

13. Jmckinley712

Jmckinley712 Private E-2

Thanks you all, its back working again, only problem i have now is connecting to my wifi. Everything is entered correctly but after it says connecting it fails trying to connect to the wireless network.

14. tgell

Right click the wireless icon in the system tray, Select open network connections. Right click on the wireless connection. Select Properties. Under the Wireless network tab, do you see the SSID of the router you are trying to connect to under preferred networks?

15. Jmckinley712

Jmckinley712 Private E-2

Yes and beside it it says automatic and has an "x"

16. tgell

When you click properties of the SSID, is the Security setup and encryption the same as what the router is using. Double check your PSK is the same also. Under the authentication tab, make sure Enable IEEE is not checked. Under the Connection tab make sure the box for connecting to the network when in range is checked. Click the Advance button and make sure Access Point Networks is selected.

Finally, under the general tab, scroll down to TCP/IP, select Properties and make sure obtain DNS and obtain IP address automatically is selected.

17. Jmckinley712

Jmckinley712 Private E-2

I just tried it step by step its still not working. I dont know if it matters but my router is set up for wpa/wpa2 but on the checklist it doesnt give the option to check both (noob question)

18. tgell

Since the driver is working with no exclamation marks in Device Manager, I would start a new thread in the Networking Forum and explain the problem, referencing this thread. Somebody with more experience than I have may be able to help. I do not think the Wpa/Wpa2 would be a problem but it may. My router only gives the option of one or the other.

One thing you can try is to Right click the Wireless Icon in the system tray and select repair.

19. Jmckinley712

Jmckinley712 Private E-2

Okay thanks ALOT. You were a very BIG help.

20. driversdown

driversdown Private E-2

I need help I am computer illiterate and my ethernet drivers are down on my IBM thinkpad t42. I know I need to re-install my drivers but what ones and how can I install them if I can't access the internet? My

Hardware Ids:
    PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0013&SUBSYS_04081468&REV_01
    PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0013&SUBSYS_04081468
    PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0013&CC_020000
    PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0013&CC_0200

Does this make any sense to anyone?

21. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Welcome to the MG Forums!

Your network adapter seems to be a Intel PRO/Wireless Network Connection.

I suggest you try to find your driver using the Intel Driver Update utility at http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect.

What is your Windows version, b.t.w.?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds