Need help moving windows to a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by souredspirit, Aug 17, 2012.

1. souredspirit

souredspirit Private First Class

I'm going to try to be as specific as I can here. I have an old Seagate 500Gb SATA1 dinosaur and I want to upgrade to a 2-3 TB SATA 3.x. There's no corruption or technical issues yet (fingers crossed), I'm just upgrading because I'm out of room, (even after a running Ccleaner) and games keep getting bigger. I do not care to keep partition sizes the same or the arrangement of file clusters on the drive. What I do care about is the look and feel on the users end, I want it to look and feel like it always did, and the only visible difference to a user is the free space remaining on C: and the speed.

Things to note in the offbeat chance that they are important.
    I am using 4Gb of DDR3 with a AMD FX 8120 8 core with no RAID settings of any kind. This is all seated on a Gigabyte AM3+ motherboard.

I need to know just what kind of software I will need if I want to:
    A) install the new HD into my pc's housing 1st.
    B) Install the utility software on my currently used drive, and use said software to transfer out from there.
    C) Create a duplicate of my existing drive, so that it looks and feels like it always did.
    D) Not need the old drive after that, meaning I could format the original drive for data storage, or even throw it away if I felt like it.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

The Seagate Discwizard (Acronis) is free for Seagate users.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Do a backup - it takes a snapshot of your hdd , and when you install your new hdd, just do a recovery,
    Everything on your old hdd is now on your new one.

4. souredspirit

souredspirit Private First Class

Thank you so much guys, you can list this one as closed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds