Need Help Networking Mac & Win PC for File Sharing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bper, Sep 21, 2011.

1. bper

bper Corporal

Hi,

What I need to do is copy data files for my friend from his windows pc to his mac.

I guess the quickest way would be to network both machines and then copy the files over directly. I'm not sure which version of the OS is the mac machine. It's a new machine so I would figure that it would be the latest mac OS. I'm not sure which operating system it is either. It could be windows 7 or xp. Sorry for not having those answers, but if you don't mind I would appreciate if you could advise.

Thanks

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

As long as the OS on the Mac is OS X 10.1 or later, you just have to make sure both devices are in the same workgroup, and that you have public shared folders enabled on the machine that you are transferring to. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1627

3. bper

bper Corporal

Thank you very much. I'll give it a try and report.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds