Need Help on buying Soundcard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheFrostyOne, Jul 12, 2004.

1. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

Right now I'm using a on-board soundcard. I just bought The Logitech Z2200. I wanna upgrade my soundcard. Now I need some suggestion on what to buy. I really not looking for a top of the line soundcard but a soundcard that is good enough. I was thinking of this sound card Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy LS Audio Card. How bout those santa Cruz soundcard? any good?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Opinions vary depending on if you listen to a lot of music and how sensitive you are. I would seriously read some in depth reviews rather then take a few peoples opinions. That said, I am a sound blaster guy and currently use an Audigy 2.

3. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

you WILL notice the diff between an audigy1 and a audigy2 and IMO its a big one; i bought just today the audigy2 for my bro since its his bday and he was blown away by how much the sound quality improved from audigy1

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Audigy 2. I watch a lot of DVDs and listen to a lot of music (CD,DVD audio, MP3 and AAC) and it works for me. I run the digital output to my home theater. It is also the premier gamers card so either way I don't think you'll go wrong with it.

5. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

Is that the offical name? I cant seem to find the card ur talking about. Also can u find a good deal on that card online? Again thanks.

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It is the Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS. The Platinum version has a front mounted panel that fits into a 5 1/4 drive slot with extra inputs and outputs.
    Here's a link to the SoundBlaster site http://www.soundblaster.com/products/audigy2/

7. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

What are those extra ouputs from the platinum one? I really dont know much about soundcards as u can see.

8. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

Also I have a Sony Vaio RS-420 with a Radeon 9800 XT and a Asus P4SD-VX Motherboard. There should be no problem installing the Audigy 2 ZS soundcard right? Like the slots I need and all.

9. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

10. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Firewire I always hated myself, most newer machines have them now, I guess its handy for some. You can just plug in your sound or use its many connections for:

FireWire® Connectivity
    IEEE® 1394 / FireWire® / i-Link® compatible interface with up to 400Mbps transfer rate
    Sound Blaster Audigy® 2 On-Board Connectors
    Line level out (Front / Rear / Center / Subwoofer /Rear Center)
    Digital Out for 5.1 support (6-channel SPDIF Output)
    Line in
    Microphone in
    FireWire port
    Telephone Answering Device in
    Analog / Digital CD Audio in
    15-pin MIDI / Joystick port extension header
    Internal Firewire header to Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Internal Drive (Upgrade Option*)
    AD_EXT extension header to the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Internal Drive (Upgrade Option*)
    * Upgrade not yet available for sale seperately
    Sound Blaster Audigy® 2 Platinum Internal Drive Front Panel Connectors
    (Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum ONLY)
    Headphone Out (1/4" Stereo Jack with Volume control)
    Line In 2 (1/4" Stereo Jack, shared with Microphone In 2)
    Microphone In 2 (1/4" Jack with Gain control)
    MIDI In (mini DIN)
    MIDI Out (mini DIN)
    Optical SPDIF In and Out
    Coaxial SPDIF In and Out
    Stereo Auxiliary In (2 x RCA/Coaxial Jack)
    Firewire port
    Infra-red Receiver

11. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

Hey what about the Santa Cruz Soundcard? Would that work good with my Logitech z2200?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds