Need help putting together $600 gaming computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GMXMan, May 24, 2004.

1. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

My computer is broke as hell.. gonna save up around $600 and upgrade.

My main purpose is gaming... that's what I need it for.

I'd need just the box, have monitor/keyboard/mouse/crappy speakers already.

Also, I'd need Windows XP Home edition with it so that brings it down to like $500.

What do you guys think? I've looked up some on e-bay, but they seem to have crappy gfx cards.

My current setup is...

512 RAM (Broken RAM, as far as I can tell)
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+, Supposed to run at 1.7 gigs but only runs at 1.3
    GeForce 4 Ti4200 64 MB card
    Asus A7V266-E/AA motherboard
    Random old floppy/disc drive/psu.. etc.. the case is old.

I'm really looking to retire this comp, but if any of the pieces are salvagable to save $$ that would be cool.

Thanks guys.

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

what games do you wish to play?

for $500, i would buy a new case and Power supply, as well as a new motherboard. You should probably keep your processor as it is not THAT outdated yet, and will run all current games if paired with a better video card. that should save you $80 and is easily upgraded in the future.

your video card is not terrible, it would be better if it was the 128MB version, but still it should play a good amount of the games out to date.

Some motherboards I recommend are:
    -Asus A7N8X (depending on how much you plan to upgrade, there are a few versions of this board)
    -Abit NF7

if you plan on playing new games, I would recommend a Radeon 9600XT which you can get for about $160 also.

that would be:
    Case + Power Supply $100
    Motherboard $70-100
    Video Card $160
    accessories (maybe a new heatsink/fanand some case fans) $50
    Total $410

what makes you think your RAM is dead?

i'm just rough estimating for now.

give us details on what you want to be able to do, including what games you wish to play, and we ca help you further. we love this stuff ;)

3. acejones

acejones A Different Title

shipping is relatively cheap for a case online. i've bought both of my cases online and shipping was less than $20 on both.

here is what I would get:
    A7N8X-E: $100
    Athlon XP 2500+ oem: $75
    aftermarket hs/fan combo: $25 (will get you anything you want)
    Radeon 9600XT: $160
    1g Corsair Value matching ram: $187
    ----------------------------------
    $547

if it were me, i would scrimp a little on the case, rather than the video card. you can get a cheaper case and psu (my current case is a powmax with a 420w psu and its been running flawless...i am replacing it with a new chieftec case, which i've already bought, and an antec true 430 psu, which i'm going to get next month). with the amount left over, i would wait and save for an extra month, by then you'll have enough $$$ to get everything and prices will have dropped a bit. you could also get 1 stick of 512 for under $100 and use the other $$$ to get a case.

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Personally, I'd agree with InYearsToCome. Except instead of a Radeon 9600XT for $160, I'd get a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb for $178 @ www.newegg.com. Seems like a better deal to me.

5. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

6. acejones

7. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

Thanks for the replies guys..

I mainly play MMO games, your EverQuests and whatnot.. that's my main purpose for my comp, so would like it to be able to run the newer games.

As for my RAM, my processor was advertised to run at 1.7 gigs, but can only run at 1.3. Whenever I try to set it to 1.7, screen just goes black.. Someone told me this might be because of my RAM which is most likely not brandname, and that I should run memtest.. I ran this and got some errors, and it told me to replace my RAM.

And it doesn't have to be exactly the $500 .. +$100 for OS.. it's just that I figure I can save that much in a decent amount of time.

I'm only 17, and only make $7.00 an hour as a cashier. Also have car payments.. :)

8. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

Oh, forgot to mention... my computer also loves to randomly reboot, which I think has something to do with my RAM.. but I'm not entirely sure, as I don't know that much about computers.

9. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

10. acejones

thanks for the link...i hadn't seen anything like it.

11. acejones

12. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

The 9600XT is a good card, but when you can get a 9800 Pro for $10 more, I'd go for it. :)

13. acejones

it IS an oem version, but I'd say thats a good deal.

14. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

Ok, my comp is so messed up that I think I'm gonna start ordering the parts next weekend... Plan on buying it all from newegg, to save on shipping..

Here's what I'm thinking so far..

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=37-102-141&depa=0 Windows XP Home, $90, OEM Version

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-478&depa=0 That mobo you guys said, A7N8X-E Deluxe, $100

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-402&depa=1 Kingston Value Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200, $114

That's all I've got so far, $300.

I think I'm gonna cheap out on the processor, and hold onto mine until I have more money to spend on this.

As for the video card, I can't get the 9800 since it isn't on newegg as you guys say, but I wanna buy it all on the same site to save on shipping..

However, I also prefer Nvidia cards because that seems to be the better card for gaming, as far as I can tell... Can you guys recommend a decent Nvidia card for around that price?

Hmm.. what else do I need..

Any recommendations on which case/psu/fans on newegg? Going to order those as well.

My cd drive and floppy drive are pretty basic, so I think I can keep them.. but would old parts like mine fit in newer cases?

I think my harddrive should be able to stay, 80 gigs it is I think.

Thanks much for the help guys!

15. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

Bump, anyone help me out?

16. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Don't even start with that!

Have a look at one of these : http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-133-106&depa=1 I've heard they are fairly decent. Check that link MT posted.

17. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

That card seems cool, thanks for looking it up.

However, it has no reviews.. so I'm not sure how it is for gaming.. Anyone have any experience with it or further knowledge to share?

Also, what's the difference between Chaintech Nvidia and PNY Nvidia? The card being PNY Nvidia, which I've never heard of.

And what do you guys think of these two cases?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-156-123&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-156-112&depa=1

Thanks.

18. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

Hehe, I was brought up believing in Nvidia. :D

19. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

I checked out MT's link, Thanks MT.

Anyways, I look at the benchmarks for Halo, and first looked up the best Nvidia... Like $400, so went down to the 5700.

I searched that on Newegg and it came up with like 2 pages of variations of it.. It boggles the mind. :confused:

I'm not really sure which is best, sorry to be so vague.. but if anyone knows what would be best for DirectX9 MMO Gaming, etc, in an Nvidia card around $150, please let me know. :)

Thanks.

20. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

"Not that the catalyst drivers are bad but little annoying things like having to download the control panel seperate still bother me."

They have a unified driver with the drivers, control panel, and wdm capture driver all packaged in one. Or you can also download them seperately if you choose.

21. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

I looked up the 5700 Ultra on Newegg, and of course found a bunch of different kinds..

Anyway, they have this here regular 5700 (Not "Ultra", as far as I can tell) for $142

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-128-190&depa=0

And this here 5700 Ultra for $160

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-178&depa=0

I'm leaning towards the $160 one.. only $20 more, and it seems to be a good card, good reviews and all that. What do you guys think?

Still need feedback on the cases, too.. Please. :) .. Is it good or bad for a case to come with a PSU? And if it comes with one, that's all you need, right? Don't need to install another one?

And does company for the RAM matter? I've noticed some 512 sticks go for under 100, which would be preferred.

22. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

After reading a lot of the reviews on cases on Newegg, it seems to me that the PSUs that come with the cases tend to suck... and I want a good PSU for some hardcore gaming.

I figure I'll look for a decent case without a PSU for around $30-$40 and buy the PSU seperate... Any ideas on what kind of PSU I need?

23. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

24. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

Ok, here's the lineup I plan to order... As for the case, I'm just gonna buy it and use it till the PSU dies.. Then I'll buy a new one.

If you guys have any recommendations, please do.. Thanks.

RAIDMAX Black Mustang 10-Bay ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB 2.0 and 350W Power Supply, Model "ATX-289WBP" -RETAIL ... $32.00

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-156-123&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

ASUS "A7N8X-E Deluxe" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL ... $99.00

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-478&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

eVGA nVIDIA GeForce FX5700 ULTRA Video Card, 128MB DDRII, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "e-GeForce FX 5700(128-A8-N336-AX)" -RETAIL ... $160.50

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-178&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 8T - OEM ... $95.00

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-541&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a - OEM ... $90.00

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=37-102-141&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

Grand Total: $515.85 (Tax/Shipping Included)

Watcha guys think? From my current comp, I'd steal the processor, harddrive, CD drive, floppy, and fans.

EDIT:

Wow, $83 for that PSU.. didn't know they were so expensive. I'll have to use the one that comes with the case until I can afford better. Thanks for the info.

25. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

I would advise against using that power supply. If it does break, it could damage any part of your system. (mobo, processor, RAM, etc.) I'd spend the extra $50 or so on a reliable power supply.

Here is the one I bought for my computer from Newegg. Thermaltake 480W power supply - $56

Also, I'd really suggest a Radeon 9800 Pro for around $200. On Halo, it scores twice as well as the 5700 Ultra in the link MT posted. And for $225, you can get a Radeon 9800 Pro and Half-Life 2. (same one I bought)

26. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

Thanks for the tip, guess I'll buy the PSU as well.

As for the video card, I can barely afford the $160.. and now with the PSU on top of that, I'm spending way too much.

Thing is though, I think my video card just went out of stock some time today.... Which isn't cool... I'm gonna have to look for a different one.

27. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

28. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

Weird... I think the card came back in stock again. :confused:

Anyways, I think I'm gonna go with the original list + the PSU - What do you guys think of the case? I'd take out the PSU and put in the PSU I'm gonna buy.

29. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

about the vid card, i have not heard necessarily good things about eVga, they are supposed to be pretty cheap... you might want to look into it.

tha case looks a bit cheap and compact, but you're not going to do much better for teh price, so in that aspect its reasonable.

30. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

Well, I don't know much myself.. the reason I trust that card will be good is because it got 5 star rating from 74 voters.

As for the case, yeah.. it's cheap, just making sure it's the best I can get for that amount of money, and want to make sure it is decent at least. Can't spend all too much, maybe I'll upgrade sometime down the road when I upgrade my processor.

I think I got free S&H out of it, too.. :cool:

Thanks. :)

31. GMXMan

GMXMan Private E-2

Ordered it! $567.43 ... Thanks much for the help guys, I'll let you know how it turns out.

32. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

you make a good point. 1.3ghz would work out with the correct multiplier (13x) but an incorrect 200mhz FSB. (100*13 =1300mhz)

Set your FSB to 133 in the BIOS if you havent tried already (133*13=1729mhz, or the real speed of a 2000+)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds