Need Help Recovering E-mail Adresses From Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dark Lord, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Private E-2

An acquaintance of me recently had to replace his PC. However, he recently discovered that most of his E-mail addresses are missing. I volunteered to recover these from his old hard drive, but, unfortunately, to no avail.
    I did managed to access his HD via my own PC, and located the paths specified in the Microsoft webpage linked below, but none of them include any files whatsoever.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...ta-files-0996ece3-57c6-49bc-977b-0d1892e2aacc

Since I can't find any files related to Microsoft Outlook, my guess is that the acquaintance in question used another mail client, instead of Outlook, but I can't be certain, as he is not very knowledgeable about computers, so to speak, and really does not know which program he used to handle his e-mail traffic.

Are there any other files that could include E-mail addresses?
    If yes, what extension should I search for?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

He may not have been using an email client at all, just webmail. If he can remember his own email address and password you may be able to help him access his account online.

3. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Private E-2

Thanks for the reply.

If I remember correctly, he did use a client. Before he replaced his PC, I didn't saw him use any browser when handling his E-mail. His E-mail address is also one he received from his ISP, instead of using any of the web-based services (such as Gmail, Outlook.com etc)

4. Earthling

OK, that narrows it down a bit. I guess you have thoroughly searched the drive for Outlook's .pst files? I find the Everything search engine awesome for this sort of thing - if it exists Everything will instantly find it. If there are no .pst files, and as your friend is not very knowledgeable, it's likely he was using a client that was supplied with his computer - Outlook Express for XP, Windows Mail for Vista, Windows Live Mail for 7, or Mail for 8 and 10 but I think the last can be discounted. So if you know what Windows version he was using you may bbe able to pin down the client, and from that identify the client data file. HTH

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The other thing that occurs to me, though it might not be case in this instance, people who use an email address provided by an ISP can almost always also access that mail account online via a web browser. A contact list of email addresses may be there.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  6. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Private E-2

Judging from what I saw when his old PC was still working, he either used Vista or 7 (more likely). I tried searching for .edb files (where WM or WLM keep their data) and found several files with the name "Contacts.edb", one of which I guess is the file he requires.

Now I only need to determine if the addresses included in said files belong to him or not, seeing as others in his household also used the PC. But that is just a matter of converting these .edb files into a readable list and showing it to him.

7. Earthling

You will probably first have to install the relevant client to be able to do that.

8. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Private E-2

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds