Need help reformatting new WD Passport Essential

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Snowbi-Wan, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Snowbi-Wan

Snowbi-Wan Private E-2

I just bought a new 320GB WD Passport Essential with the stupid preinstalled Smartware. The drive comes NTFS, but I need to reformat it to FAT32 for use with my DVD player. Any means I'd normally use (Partition Magic) will not even touch it and WD's own "FAT32 Formatter" program from their own site will not do it either because of something on the drive.

Anyone know a way around it? Thanks!

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Note that FAT32 only allows for files up to 4GB max size.

I would try and use a different DVD player that supports all file formats. You tired VLC yet?

3. Snowbi-Wan

Snowbi-Wan Private E-2

I actually just found a software on WD's own site that allows you to do it. Acronis True Image WD Edition

I was able to unalocate it and then reformat to FAT32. Thanks though.

4. Snowbi-Wan

Snowbi-Wan Private E-2

Even though I already got it done, I thought I'd share WD's response in case others are trying to do the same thing. I have not tried this method myself.

5. JohnBenjamin

JohnBenjamin Private E-2

Despite WD portable drive looks great.You could always purchase separate case to add further protection to your drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds