Need help replacing my sound card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kllydkelly, Jul 9, 2009.

1. kllydkelly

kllydkelly Private E-2

A friend of mine gave me an old NTEVA 500 desktop computer and I want to take the sound card out and put it in my COMPAQ deskpro because the sound is gone. Is there anyone that can tell me if I an do it and how?

Thanks in advance.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I just did a Google search for NTEVA and got nothing even close to a PC. The only thing that was close was this thread. Are you sure you got the make/model right? It shouldn't matter theoretically... if the sound card is a PCI card, and the Compaq has an available PCi slot, you'd simply remove it from one PC and install it in the other PC. Before installing it, you'd look for a model number and/or manufacturer on the sound card and write down this info so you can get a driver for it if needed. If there are no identifying stickers or writing printed on the card, then the info from the main chip on the card would be needed. Other than that, it's pretty much a straight-forward procedure. It's almost impossible to do it wrong (unless you try to do the whole procedure with both computers plugged in and powered on! LOL In other words, be sure both systems are unplugged before you open the computers and removing/installing the sound card)

Good luck!

(maybe the PC is an IBM APTIVA 500?????)

3. kllydkelly

kllydkelly Private E-2

Thanks.

Oh, I did get it wrong. It's called an INTEVA 500 desktop. Sorry if I confused you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds