Need help securing wireless network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Howmanator, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

I tried the solution blupickle offered another user but it did not work for me. My adapter is a generic brand from micro center - "Wireless 802.11g" - and when I tried going into properties to set:
    Security Mode: WPA-Personal
    WPA Mode: WPA only
    Cipher Type: TKIP
    Pre shared key:******

All that I got was:
    Security type: WPA-Personal
    Encryption type: TKIP
    Network security key: ******

Then the error message said I was no longer connected and "The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network"

I know it's due to a user error on my part when I installed the adapter, but it only concerned me today when my neighbors name showed up in my system tray with a media player icon that asked if I wanted to access the player.

2. Akumos

Akumos Private E-2

Did you manager to change any of the settings on the properties page or did the error come up as you accesed them?

3. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

Akumos, I was able to change the settings in properties, but then I no longer had a connection and the error message was in the connect to internet slot.

4. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

were you connected via wireless when you implemented the security?

5. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

I was not connected, I simply opened connect and right clicked the listed connection which is listed as unsecured.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds