Need help selecting between these AGP video cards for an older PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PapaPrem, Jan 22, 2009.

1. PapaPrem

PapaPrem Private E-2

Hello all. Quite a great forum you have here. :)

I have an old Gateway AMD 1000 MHz K7 PC that has a (maximum) 4X AGP slot for the video card and a 3.3v 250 watt PSU. It currently has an ancient NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 (32MB) video card . I am running Win XP SP3.
    This PC is mainly used for surfing the web, viewing YouTube videos, MS Word, and watching Divx files via VLC media player. No gaming at all. I plan on getting a large 28" LCD monitor which would require me to upgrade my video card to one that has either a DVI or HDMI port.
    I was searching on NewEgg.com for a passively cooled (fanless) AGP video card that would meet my prehistoric PC's requirements so I wouldn't need to upgrade my PSU. I also prefer Nvidia over ATI, as I want something simple to set-up without the ATI driver issues headache. I narrowed it down to the following two video cards:

1) PNY VCG62256AEB GeForce 6200 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

2) XFX PVT44AYAJG GeForce 6200 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

Which one of these 2 would you guys recommend? Also, I could probably save a few bucks by going down to the GEForce FX 5200 series, although I don't know if the 10 or 20 dollars in savings would be worth the downgrade. Here is the link to some of the other cards (i.e GE Force FX 5200): Other AGP Video Cards
    Your advice and input would be greatly appreciated. TIA! :)

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Welcome aboard PapaPrem, both cards are good for you but I'd lean toward the 512MB. Also, since you have an older rig and PSU, I'd really consider in getting a new power supply as that is some 7 years old right?

Maybe get a lower card and spend spend the bucks on a new PSU. It's more than likely on its last legs. I'd hate to see you get a new card with your PSU blowing it up or worse. You can get a decent one for $30 @300W.

3. PapaPrem

PapaPrem Private E-2

Thank you for the welcome augie. I appreciate your advice. You are right, my PC and its PSU is about roughly 8 years old. I'd prefer a 350W PSU as it would allow me a broader ranger of video cards to select from. Would Ebay be a good place to find one? Also, is there a particular type of PSU I would need?

4. augiedoggie

I just twigged on Gateway, I'm not not sure if they had proprietary PSU's or plugs and I've never e-bayed, someone else will have to answer those two questions as I have absolutely no idea. Meh on e-bay, get a real seller that is reputable, for the few dollars you might save there it's not really worth it IMO.

Here's a brand recommended to me by a knowledgeable person. This should be right up your alley.
    SPARKLE Power Q ATX-300GU 300W ATX Power Supply - OEM or this one

I do NOT know if this fits your Gateway, you'll have to wait a bit longer for someone who does..

5. PapaPrem

PapaPrem Private E-2

6. augiedoggie

I'm pretty sure a normal ATX PSU physically would fit your case, it's just the pinout on the connector that has me concerned, I'll bow out of this thread now as folks don't tend to look at threads with lots of replies. I think you're good as Gateway was not as bad as Dell in those days if at all with propietary stuff, still wait for someone who knows for sure. Nice meeting you.

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

By the way, have you thought about getting a smaller monitor and running dual monitors instead of getting a huge 28" monitor? Is your current monitor still good?

9. PapaPrem

PapaPrem Private E-2

Thanks for the replies fellas! Nice to meet you guys!
    I prefer the larger 28" monitor as I plan to use this system more for a HTPC. My current 19" CRT is still good, but as with all CRT's, they take up a lot of (depth) space. I decided to go with the PNY VCG62256AEB GeForce 6200 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - $40.99. I researched all the other manufacturers product specifications and this card is the only one capable of pushing the 1920X1200 resolution for DVI. All the other brands for the Nvidia GeForce 6200 and below won't support 1920x1200 over the DVI interface. And for a monitor this size, I gather it is better to use the digital output over the analog. I heard of PNY before, but I don't know how good of a brand it is?

Usafveteran, thanks for the link to the general guide for the PSU replacement.
    MY current 250 Watt 3.3V PSU has a 20-pin Standard ATX connector, 5 peripheral connectors and 1 floppy connector. Its model number is: Newton Power NPS-250CB A . The output current shows:
    +12 V - 13 A max., 0 A min.
    +5 V - 25 A max., 1.0 A min.
    +3.3 V - 20 A max., 0 A min.
    -12 V - 0.8 A max., 0 A min.
    +5 VSB - 1.7 A max., 0 A min.

I came across these two PSU's that appear compatible with my system:

1) 350W Power Supply for NPS-250CB A

2) ATX12V-300PN (300W ATX12V)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds