Need Help Speccing New Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Buffoon, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Buffoon

Buffoon Private E-2

It's time to replace my 2006 Dell laptop, and I have gotten behind on what is cutting edge these days. I could use some help figuring out the basic specs of a new system should be.

I use a laptop, but it usually stays in my home office.

I don't do any games and don't care about watching movies.

In my work, I use the internet heavily. I also use ACT 6 heavily. Other than that, I use the basic MS office porograms - normally Word is open at all times.

My current computer is running Windows XP, and I think all of the updates for XP are getting too much for it. It's much slower than a desktop I bought for my kids that is a 2.3 core 2 duo.

My current compter is a Dell 1505, Inspiron 6400. It has an Intel Dual Core 2.0 processor (the specs say it is a Dual Core Yonah). Ram is 1GIG, with a 533 mhz speed (DDR2). I have a 100Gig hard drive, and have about 40 Gig of space taken up.

I'm looking to replace it with a laptop, and am wondering the following:

What kind of processor should I get (what speed, brand, Core 2 Duo or something more complex)?

How large a hard drive, and at what speed? What other specs do I need in the hard drive?

What type of Ram, and how much?

I'd love to know what your thoughts are, you who know more than me (which is everyone).

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Depends on your budget.

My usage is similar to yours, no games, but I do like to watch movies from time to time.

Bought a Toshiba Satellite, 250 G HD, 3 G RAM, DDR3, Win7 OS. Has the separate side number pad.

Very happy with it, $450 or thereabouts.

You'll probably want a wireless mouse with it too.

Shouldn't be obsolete before the end of the year. :-D

3. Buffoon

Buffoon Private E-2

Thanks.

I can spend $500+ for a new machine, $1000 if necessary. I can't work without a computer, unfortunately.

What type of processor do you have on your new laptop?

What is the hard drive speed? I see a lot of 5400 RPM's available. Is that enough?

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

:-D:-D

So I read your message and go to my system information to respond, but then I see I have only 2 Gig of memory!! :confused

Whoops, :-o , I'm on my office computer, not the home lappy.

I suspect someday I'll be able to say, "You know what the good part of having alzheimers is? You get to meet so many new people!"

I'll let you know later, if I can find my way home. :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds