need help to set AMD Sempron 2200+ speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mistermomo, Jan 3, 2005.

1. mistermomo

mistermomo Private E-2

hi have AMD Sempron 2200+, windows show me that my cpu speed is 1500 mhz.
    i need help to set the real speed of my cpu.
    my mainboard gigabyte ga-7vt600 1394.
    memory ddr 400

2. Sgtmackenzie

Sgtmackenzie Private E-2

I'm sorry, but the real clocking frequency of your processor is 1500 Mhz.

This is sort of misleading and I'm not exactly sure how to explain it, so here goes my attempt. A 1500 Mhz AMD CPU does not equal a 1500 Mhz Pentium CPU. AMD processors always run at a slower operating frequency, but their memory pipelines(for lack of a technical term) are shorter than those for Pentium chips and it takes less time for an instruction to complete. Thus a 1500 Mhz AMD chip will always stomp on a 1500 Mhz Pentium chip. Your Sempron 2200+ is comparable to a Celeron 2.2 Ghz if not better....Much much better.

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Sgtmackenzie is correct, for the most part.

However, a 2200 runs at 1.8Ghz.

Ensure that the FSB is at the correct speed (hopefully 400, if it matches the ram). The multiplier will be locked, so if you select a lowwer FSB than required, your processor will run under speed.

The FSB setting is found in the bios setup, usually in Standard BIOS settings, or CPU PnP Settings.

4. Sgtmackenzie

Sgtmackenzie Private E-2

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ugh, I was under the impression that Sempron's were exactly the same as Athlon XP's... and the 2200+ XP runs at 333MHz, 1.8GHz.... evidently not!

I guess the multiplier is set at 4.5 instead of 5. Cheeky buggers that they are!

6. Am!r

Am!r Private E-2

Does this mean that games that require 2 ghz will run smoothly on amd sempron 2200+ with 1.5 ghz? as it competes with intel celeron 2.2 ghz?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds