Need help updating a computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Xnitro67, May 10, 2011.

1. Xnitro67

Xnitro67 Corporal

i am going to be updating a computer from vista to windows 7 and here are the pc's stats:
    2GB ram
    2.4ghz
    integrated graphics

the upgrade adviser says everything will work but i coudnt install the vista service pack 1(which is needed) but then i think you can update it but it would mean uninstalling windows and im not sure on how to do that. i have 16gb usb. so can anyone help me here?

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

What happens when you boot from the Windows 7 Upgrade disc? Can you install the upgrade like that?

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

It reads like there may already be a problem with your current Windows installation, upgrading Vista to W7 is really only advisable from a very clean Vista otherwise the bugs that may be fixable now might become a greater problem but incurable once you've upgraded to W7. It should be much less problematic to do a clean format/install of W7.

4. Xnitro67

Xnitro67 Corporal

thats what im gona do here tomorrow but not sure on how to format Vista and install Win7 give me some tips satrow

5. satrow

I think this page should give you the route to a clean install. Backup all vital files and settings away from the computer before you run the upgrade/install.

You need to select the method that includes formatting your drive or boot from the Windows 7 DVD and select format before installing.

6. Xnitro67

Xnitro67 Corporal

thanks satrow site helped enough and the pc is now 10 times faster cause of win7

7. satrow

I'm pleased you got it installed ok :) if the screen refresh looks slow, update the graphics driver from the chip makers site, it usually works much better than the basic Windows driver.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds