Need Help upgrading RAM in a Dell 8200

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brad1431, Feb 6, 2009.

1. brad1431

brad1431 Private E-2

I want to upgrade my father in law's memory on his Dell Dimension 8200 from 512MB (2X256MB) , and add 2 512MB memory cards. I know that it is that DIMM memory where you have to add two like cards at a time. Where is a good place to buy them and what is a good price? DELL wanted to sell it to us for like $500, but told me to check ebay, which was going for like $100, and I saw on Amazon some going for $60. Please help. Thank you

2. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

Search your computer's make and model number online and check for sure exactly what type of memory your supposed to get and the majority of MG'ers would recommend NewEgg.com for the best deals but also check TigerDirect and Micro Center.

Hope that helps!;)

3. Thegame14

Thegame14 Private E-2

This is what it says I need. Where can I get 2X512 MB cards for the best price?

Memory

Architecture
    RDRAM

Memory connectors
    four

Memory capacities
    64-, 128-, 256-, and 512-MB non-ECC RDRAM

Minimum memory
    128 MB

Maximum memory
    2 GB with Microsoft® Windows® 2000 and Windows XP; 512 MB with Windows Millennium Edition (Me)

Memory type
    PC800 (non-ECC)

Memory speed
    40 ns or faster

BIOS address
    F8000h

4. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

Click!

This is the best I found for you, It's from eBay therefore I cannot recommend its quality, but you'll have a good chance it'll be a good buy.

Good Luck!

5. Thegame14

Thegame14 Private E-2

Is that a good price? I have seen 2GB for like $35 but not the kind that I need. Is this specific kind of RAM that much more expensive?

6. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

Unfortunately so. You have a legacy system and the RAM it needs is in short supply/demand. RAM for my computer is around $100 per G for mine as well (PC2100)

7. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

8. Thegame14

Thegame14 Private E-2

I went to buy the one you linked and now it is sold out, anyone else find any for a good price? on that site crucial.com, there was nothing thanks

9. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

Click! looks like the seller has more but upped the price a bit.

Good Luck!

10. Thegame14

Thegame14 Private E-2

the seller pulled the auction. Anyone else see anything out there? Thanks

11. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Allow me to try and be helpful (no offense to any other poster) :)

What you have in your computer is something called RDRAM, or Rambus for short. It is a proprietary memory technology that isn't being manufactured anymore by anyone other than... well, Rambus. It is rare, low in demand, and the owners of the patent just lost a lawsuit, so RDRAM that you can actually use will cost you a fortune. Add to the above that it also comes in several versions, and only one of them will work in your computer, and an eBay auction is in other words a gamble.

Dell's price of $500 is what reputable vendors will charge you for Rambus memory, and the long and short of it is that you are better off buying a new computer. You will get a lot more for your money that way, trust me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds