Need help : Very sensitive monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by georgetok, Jul 22, 2011.

1. georgetok

georgetok Private E-2

I just bought Dell Desktop XPS 8300 system with 24 inch ST2420L Full HD LED Monitor.

The monitor is so sensitive that even just touching a folder opens it although I have selected double click to open in folder options.

It is same with menu bars & some files too. Drop down menus snap right back up.

Dell tech support spent an hour but couldn’t do anything.

I am using the Native Resolution of 1920X1080

It has NVIDIA GeDorce GT 530 Video Card & I installed the Latest drivers too.

I am using the DVI port for connection.

The system came with Win -7 Home Premium but I installed Win -7 ( Ultimate ) on it.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank You

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I'm a little confused by your question/problem:confused as far as I can see your monitor isn't a touch screen monitor so you couldn't open files by touching it:confused

Are files opening when you touch your monitor?

Or

Are files opening when you hover your cursor near or over the folders? If so this isn't a monitor problem.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I think you need to look at the sensitivity of the mouse; not the monitor.
    Try another mouse just to be sure it is not a problem with the mouse.

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

This sounds like an excellent suggestion.

also when you were making sure of the "double clicking" option did you also explore the other "sensitivity" options?

Attached Files:

5. georgetok

georgetok Private E-2

I meant hovering cursor.

6. georgetok

georgetok Private E-2

Yes, I am doing that. Makes sense & thank you.

7. georgetok

georgetok Private E-2

Excellent suggestion. Trying it out.

Some other observations that I tried.

Previously I was using a CRT monitor with Low resolution & same mouse & did that for a while with no Problem. Then today I tried that monitor & same mouse with High Resolution on CRT monitor & all of sudden mouse became very sensitive just like LED LCD monitor.

Any idea what Resolution have to do with mouse sensitivity ?

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I think this could just be a DPI problem:confused Do you know the model of your mouse or its DPI?

When you move the cursor does it jump sections of screen,is this the symptom your describing?

If so this happens when the DPI of the mouse is too low and the sensitivity is set too high.When using a high resolution screen you need a higher DPI mouse for accuracy,just upping the sensitivity in windows causes the effect previously mentioned.

First I would find the model of your mouse 'it should be written underneath around the laser or ball' Go to its support page and download/install the latest driver 'if there is one'.

Now go into control panel,Mouse,pointer options and play with the pointer speed setting,also enabled and disable enhance pointer precision.

Ideally you want it as sensitive as possible without it skipping pixels,if you can't get your mouse sensitive enough without it skipping pixels you may simply have to upgrade your mouse to a higher DPI mouse as itr I suspect it could simply be really old:)

9. georgetok

georgetok Private E-2

Dell sent me a new mouse just a week ago. But the system is 5 years old. Would that make any difference ?

10. plodr

I'm confused.
    and
    Is the computer new or 5 years old? Why did Dell send you a new mouse?

11. georgetok

georgetok Private E-2

Plodr,

Sorry I did not explain properly.

I did buy a new XPS.

But the mouse of that system was causing the problem so I took suggestions of other posters & tried the mouse of the older system which was pretty new.

12. plodr

So are you saying that two mice do not work properly on the computer?
    If so, it is time to look at the computer hardware. Is the mouse PS/2 or USB?

13. georgetok

georgetok Private E-2

Both mice are are USB.

14. plodr

Since it is a new computer, it probably does not have any PS/2 ports so trying a PS/2 mouse is not an option.
    Some things to try:
    Try a different USB port.
    Borrow a mouse from a friend and try this.
    If you installed any mouse software, uninstall it and reboot. When the computer starts up, it might say "found new hardware" and fix whatever is broken or corrupted.

15. Rocktot

Rocktot Private First Class

You will have to re-register your Windows in 30 days or upgrade ($$), so you didn't put in your Windows key?

16. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

And this has what to do with an overly sensitive mouse? :confused

17. Rocktot

Rocktot Private First Class

Maybe its the program that is unregistered that is causing this.

18. georgetok

georgetok Private E-2

Thank You Plodr.

It worked.

Tried a Brand New mouse.

So it was the mouse.

Really appreciate you being so patient & very helpful.

19. plodr

Phew, if a new mouse didn't work, we were looking at a computer hardware problem or maybe a windows problem. Glad it worked out for you. It is always nice when the fix is simple.

20. georgetok

georgetok Private E-2

I am glad too Plodr. It took quite a while & I was scared too being not a technical person & especially when a Dell Tech guy spent 2.00 Hrs over the phone with no success & promised me to call back but they never did.

Plodr,

Just curious & want to learn something, so can you please explain if Resolution of the Monitor has anything to do with mouse ?

Also if it makes any difference if Monitor is CRT or LCD.

Old mouse did work with Low resolution (1024x768) on a 22 inch CRT monitor but had problem when I incresed the Resolution of the same monitor to (1920x1080) with the same mouse.

Thank You.

21. plodr

Resolution of monitor, as far as I'm aware does not have a thing to do with the mouse.

CRT monitors require refresh rates; LCD monitors do not.

I think we can chalk that up to the mouse deciding to break at a weird time.
    I installed RAM and my power supply died. I didn't know if the problem was the RAM or the power supply. It turned out the RAM was fine and the power supply just decided to die a few minutes after I installed additional RAM.

22. georgetok

georgetok Private E-2

I see what you mean.

Once again Thank You Plodr for taking extra time. Really appreciate all the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds