Need Help W/ Installing PCI-X Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nas8, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Nas8

Nas8 Private E-2

Ok i have a Gateway gt5056. I selected in the bios to detect PCI-X first, then booted up and the display wont turn on. Now i did notice that i have a main power pin connector that is a 24 pin. I also noticed that i have a Auxiliary 12V CPU power connector 4-pin. My question is, do i have to have the 4-pin connector also pluged in for the graphics card in order for it to work? My card is a Geforce 9600 GSO 512. Any suggestions would work, Thank you in advance.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

In short, yes. Plus a 6-pin connector for the card itself. What power supply you have? If you don't have the proper connectors, your power supply is most likely underpowered.

3. Nas8

Nas8 Private E-2

Ya i have the 6 for the card but the supply is 500 or 540 watts. I had all the connectors pluged in besides the 4 pin one

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

OK, it's most likely not the PSU then but you do need the 4-pin connected. Someone better versed in video cards may help further, sorry.

5. Nas8

Nas8 Private E-2

Ty for trying ;)

6. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

The 4 pin on the motherboard is for the CPU. You need to leave that plugged in your pc won't post. It seems like that video card is 6 pin. If your PSU is 500 watts it should be enough.

You will probably need something like this to power your video card. Or your card could have come with one if you bought it retail.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds