Need help with a home network (this ones tricky)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by narrator01, Jun 30, 2011.

1. narrator01

narrator01 Private E-2

I'm helping a neighbor who runs a brokerage business out of her home with some network problems shes having. It involves multiple computers and routers/modems. They all operate off of satelite internet (hughesnet).

1: The first computer will not connect to the internet, it says the network cable is unplugged, but when I take a cable from one of the computers that is working correctly and plug it into the one thats not working it says the same thing.
    I did a IPCONFIG/ALL and it says that IP routing is not enabled, and neither is wins proxy. Idk what those are but maybe one of you dudes do.

2: This computer keeps bringing up a message saying limited or no connectivity. It is sending but not receiving data packets. I keep getting prompted to reset the network connection but Idk how to do that. It also asks me to renew the IP adress. The system cannot find the IP adress files. Semaphone (idk what that is either) continously times out and gives me a message it has 'expired'

I know this is alot of jumbled info, but if any more is required let me know Ill be monitoring this thread throughout the day.

PLEASE assist with this you guys, I will give you so much intranet loving...its crazy.

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

What routers? OS? Can you post an Ipconfig /all?

3. Shammua

Shammua Private E-2

1. Click Start-> Run
    2. Type CMD and push enter
    3. type ping 127.0.0.1
    4. If you get 4 replies you are good on TCP/IP stack

It seems that you are using a Windows machine since most brokerage firms use windows based software even if it is from home. That and just how you are using terminology.

In this instance then go to to the icon for the network connection. This is the little icon that is saying limited or no connectivity. Right click that icon then select Open Networking and Sharing Center.
    On the screen you should see
    Access type: Internet
    Connections: (mine says) Wireless Network Connection

To the right of the word Connections it should be a clickable link (Click it).
    On this screen you see a General tab. First you can simply click Diagnose. Hopefully this works and your done. If not then let me know and I will post up more....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds