Need Help With A Wd Mybook Ehd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by retbrock, Oct 11, 2016.

1. retbrock

retbrock Private E-2

I purchased a WD My Book with back up software included . I have an older laptop and I am only using a small portion of the EHD for actual backup. Can I use it like a regular EHD as well ???? It doesn't say anything in the manual and I can't find an answer on there web site either.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you're imaging using something like Macrium Reflect, Acronis True Image or similar, you can use the WD for other things. The image file(s) should be in a folder or folders on the WD and the remaining space should be usable.

3. retbrock

retbrock Private E-2

Yes it uses Acronis. Great to hear . I will give it a try :) Thanks for your response .

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The first thing I do with Western Digital hard drives (7 external ones in use) is remove the backup software from the drive.
    I was able to do this on all but one earlier portable hard drive.

I use Acronis to store images on 6 of the hard drives. Since I've had to restore several images on several different computers, I can say that removing the included backup software did not have any effect on the functioning of the hard drives.

If you don't want to use the included WD software, see if you can move it off the hard drive. (I used Windows Explorer to move the files and folders off to the desktop computer. I kept it for a bit then finally erased it because I knew I didn't need it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds