Need help with buying a computer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Oooops!, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I'm looking to replace my 5/6 year old XP desktop computer. (No monitor needed).

I mainly e-mail, surf, watch the occasional video, play the odd online game, I don't download too much. Not looking for anything fancy or pricey, just a decent system for the average user that will last for a few years.

I'd like to have the Windows 7 already preinstalled.
    So far I've found 2 computers, whatcha guys think?
    Thank you.
    :)

Compaq Presario Desktop Computer featuring AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 215 (CQ5210F)

$399 Canadian
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10132486&catid=20217&logon=&langid=EN

HP Pavilion Intel Pentium E5300 2.6GHz Computer (P6241F)

$699.99 Canadian (would inquire if the tower can be sold seperately instead of a package deal)
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10132429&catid=

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I'd go with the Compaq, there's no point in spending $300 more for minimal gain. You have to ask yourself, do I need a 1TB drive or a faster CPU? As long as you don't want to upgrade then you'll be fine. The onboard graphics card doesn't impress me but then you most likely don't need anything better either. Should be good for a few years.

3. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I'm sure the first one would be fine for your needs.

4. TheRealGEEK

TheRealGEEK Private First Class

i'd go with the compaq, the Athlon II X2 will be all you need

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds