need help with cardreader

Discussion in 'Software' started by kapidaho, Jun 1, 2008.

1. kapidaho

kapidaho Private E-2

i've got a sakar sd/mmc card reader- i'm running windows98se so i had to download the driver from sakar
    did that-had to download 7-zip to open it
    did that -got to the point where i got setup exec-did that, so i think i've got the driver downloaded
    my computer shows mass storage device found when i start my computer or plug the reader into usb port
    But wizard cannot find the driver-i even found in windows/downloaded installations where it seems the driver is but wizard won't let me specify that folder for wizard to look in
    any help would be greatly appreciated-

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Put the unzipped folder in your root directory, normally that would be C:\%card reader driver folder%. If all that's in the folder is a setup.exe file, you might be able to unzip it with 7zip (or try another unzipper like TUGzip or WinRAR; both are really good at unzipping .exe files and TUGzip is 100% free forever). If you can unzip the setup.exe, point the hardware wizard to that folder. If not, run the setup.exe and try to pay attention to where it extracts the drivers to, or if you're given the option of where to install it to, pick a spot that you can easily find. When the setup.exe is done, go to the folder it created, and make a copy of it to an easy to find place (like your root directory C: ). Then point the hardware wizard there when required. Many USB devices require the drivers to be installed first, then a reboot, then plug in the device. If done out of sequence, you might never get the device to work unless you completely uninstall the driver and start over....

Good luck!

3. kapidaho

kapidaho Private E-2

THANK YOU DLB
    after reading your post i decided to just start over-i uninstalled what i'd done before and deleted all the files i'd downloaded
    i went back to sakar-located the driver-it gave a list of drivers for my device but i noticed that only one matched the letters on the package exactly so i downloaded that on to c as you reccommended
    i opened it with 7-zip and extracted the file to a folder that it called "cardreader" in c...i though 'cardreader, hmmm, that looks hopefull'
    i logged off and went to the folder, followed the instructions. the prompts were different than i'd seen before. then it finally got to the point to restart my computer and i did that
    THEN i plugged in the reader to my usb port and the prompt said something like building driver database
    after all said and done i found it in my computer as f drive
    and there are my pics
    I really appreciate your help- i'm 55 and only so-so computer savvy- and i'm glad i stumbled upon the right site to get help.
    two thumbs up to majorgeeks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds