Need Help with College internet problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Heelside, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Heelside

Heelside Private E-2

Hi im not a huge computer person but i know a bit..i think.

any who. im in school and living on res. the internet was fine up to about 3 weeks ago when out of no where i was no longer able to access any of my online games like World or warcraft and counter strike. then i saw that my torrent tracer wasn't downloading or uploading and when i tried to get onto ventrilo (chat program with mics) and MIRC i couldn't connect. this led me to be leave the the network or internet provider has blocked IP shareing...i dont know if this is the right term but this is a huge problem for me i have gone from playing 3 and more hours a day to 0 ... i cant talk to any of my friends and i cant download anything. normal internet works fine like. surfing the web and using msn and talking on this forum. but what i need is blocked i have written complaints along with other students but i doubt anyhting will be done... so im asking on this if there is a way to by pass this blocked stuff. and get around it.

any help will be much appreciated

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Frankly, I think playing games for 3 hours or more a day is a huge waste of time. If you've got time to do that, you need to dump the games and get a part-time job to help pay for school.

You're better off without the games. Get on with your education. ;)

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

And on a helpful note, the first place to check about your problems in your local it department for the school. They can tell you if they have changed things on there network.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Stay on topic, please. The poster wants assistance, not educational advice.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Yeah, I admit going off topic. However, some of his comments indicate the school IT dept. has apparently implemented some restrictions. Here's that part of his post, where he mentions having "written complaints along with other students but i doubt anyhting will be done":

Apparently, other students have had the same "problem". He refers to "blocked stuff" and wants a way to by pass the restrictions imposed by the IT dept. I'm under the impression, from some news clips I recall seeing somewhere in past months, that some colleges and universities had decided to implement some restrictions on downloading music, and other Internet usage of students due to the school's network being overloaded. If that's the case here, does the forum really want to help with such requests?

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

And this is much more constructive comment, thanks :)

If these blocks have been put in place by, for example, the IT department, then MajorGeeks will not assist in bypassing this authoratitive stance. You would need to pay for your own personal connection.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds