Need Help With My Video/Display Driver!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by ColonelAngus, Jun 1, 2003.

1. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

I recently formatted the hard drive on another computer in my home and re-installed the Operating System. Everything is operating fine except I can't display anything in more than 16 colors!

My operating system is windows 98 and before I formatted and re-installed everything, I could display in 16 , 256, 16 bit and 32 bit colors.

I don't know why the Problem should exist! I've tried searching the windows 98 CD for better and compatible drivers, but can't improve on the display quality.

It say's I'm using the "Standard VGA Display" (The only display that works) and when I try to use something else it say's the driver selected is not compatible and currupts other drivers.

Someone please help me with this problem. Thanks

2. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Private E-2

Reply to: Need help......

If you have an Intel motherboard, the first thing you must install after the windows 98 operating system is the intel chipset software 5.0 (this must be installed before any other drivers for hardware) followed by the intel application accelerator software 2.3.

Next, since the windows 98 os comes with directx 5.0? or something like that, I would update to the latest directx drivers 9.0a.

Now I would install the latest drivers for my video card.

Hopefully this will solve your problem.

3. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Thanks JaxMacFL, I thought chipset and directx had something to do with it. The only problem now is that I don't know where to get the chipset software. If It's not on the windows 98 CD then I don't know what I'll do. I got my computer second hand from a friend of a friend and I was only given the windows 98 CD and nothing more. Everything was already installed when I bought it.
    There is now no way I can get in touch with the person I bought it from because he moved away.

If those things are not on the windows CD do you know where I can get them?

Thanks again

4. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Have you got the correct drivers installed for your video card?

5. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Thanks for the tip Matertech. That programs shows you everything.

Motherboard Chipset VIA VT82C598 Apollo MVP3

I hope that was the right info.
    Thanks again

6. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Ok, I installed the VIA 4-in-1 Drivers v4.47 but I can't run windows updates because that computer no longer has an internet connection. I used Netzero when it was free and just recently they changed to an all-pay service. The computer I'm on now has a high speed sympatico connection and the hardware is not compatible with both computers. I hope that not being able to update my computer online is not a problem.

In AIDA32 it doesn't show anything other than Standard VGA.

Is Standard VGA the Video Card? If not then I don't know what video card I have. I'm just a beginner when it comes to computers.

7. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

I took off the cover off my PC and found the card easy enough but it doesn't say anything in the list you had. It has three stickers, one of which say's 'IDQ' in capital letters and in small letters say's 'world class mainboard'; the stickers on either side of that one each have a bar code and serial numbers. On the reverse side of the card there is a chip(close to the centre) that has a logo that looks like an 'R' and in small letters it say's either 'Rendition or Pondition'. It's hard so see. Also, on the chip it say's V2200 1179-005.

I hope this makes sense to you.

8. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Just testing. My messages won't go through.

9. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Finaly it worked. I tried to reply 7 times and it wouldn't post it.

Anyway, the video display driver worked! Thank you Mastertech, you've been a huge help. Beyond huge! If it were not for you I never would have fixed my computer. I'm glad there are people like you who take the time to help a person, like me, who has no idea what he is doing.

Thanks again for all your help.

10. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

This is for Mastertech. It seems that all is not fixed like I thought. I tried to play some music but the computer said that my audio driver was not intalled. I hope you can help me with this problem.

11. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Thanks for responding and helping me again.

I used AID32 and it said there is no sound or audio listed in PCI Devices but there is in PNP Devices. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. In the PNP list it has two headings; field and value. Heres the info

Field Value
    CMI0001 C-Media CMI8330 Audio Adapter
    PNP0800 PC Speaker

The name of the Mother Board is Amptron PM-9900/PCChips M577

I also looked inside the PC and there is no Audio Card installed.

12. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Thanks Mastertech. I'll let you know how it turns out. After talking to you and getting your help I'm starting to realize why I got a so-called good deal on my computer. It wasn't a good deal. My computer is filled with old, outdated and crapy parts! Oh well, at least it works now. And I have this computer.

13. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

WOW! That audio display driver has screwed up my computer. I can't use any programs, access my CD drive, or go on my C drive. When I try doing any of those things I get one of those 'You have performed an illegal action' messages. When I choose to look at the details of why I performed an illegal action it says this:

Explorer caused a general protection faulf in module CM8330.DIV at 0006:0000005c.

Before and after I installed the audio driver I looked at my device manager and this is what it said:

? Other Devices
    ?! CMI8330/C3D Audio Adapter
    ?! PCI Card

I've noticed that the '8330' part is the same in the device manager and in the error message. Also, I tried to remove the audio driver you suggested and the ?! things and when I do it asks me restart the computer. I restart and my computer says that it has found new hardware to install on my computer and that I should insert the 'CMI8330 WIN98 Driver Disk'. I select no but it still installs the audio driver you gave me. I can't get rid of it and not being able to get rid of it means that I can't use my computer.

I've tried SCANDISK in MS DOS mode and CHECKDISK and they both say that there are no errors anywhere on my hard drive.

When I installed the audio driver I chose one of the four ?! CMI 8330/C3D Audio Adapter. I thought they were all the same so I chose the first one. It disappeared leaving the other ?! things there. My audio works now but nothing else. I think there is an error because the computer wants the other 8330 devices installed. That's my theory.

Please help

14. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Oooohhhh! I understand what I did wrong now. It wasn't the program it was the programer... Me! I realize now that I only installed part of the driver like you said. This is why I need other peoples help.

Well I did what you said and it didn't work until I got frustrated and restarted my computer. When the computer restarted it searched for the right driver files to install and now everything is fine! I can use any program and go into any folder on my computer.

Finally everything on my computer is working thanks to you. Thank you Mastertech. Like I said before, you have been a huge, huge help. You are my savior! Thanks again.

15. Fuzz

Fuzz Private First Class

Though this is my first post on this forum...I have to agree..Is there awards for techs that go beyond the call of duty?

16. deniseuk

deniseuk Private E-2

hi i am new here and i dont know much about pcs . my speakers dont work on my pc i have no sound at all i get
    ? Other Devices
    ?! PCI Card when i go to device manager a box pops up and trys to install CMI8330/C3D Audio Adapter but when i press next it says it cant frind any drivers what should i do how do i fix it plz help

17. deniseuk

deniseuk Private E-2

i forgot to say my pc is a p2 and its a pc-5100 accelerator and i have windows xp its meant to have a built in sound card hope this helps

18. deniseuk

deniseuk Private E-2

please some one help me ? any one plz

19. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

20. deniseuk

deniseuk Private E-2

thanks for the help it worked i am so happy i am realy greatefull to you

21. squishee

squishee Private E-2

Im trying to fix a win 95 machine for a friend of a friend, Ive formatted and reinstalled the os, but struck a problem with the 8330 devices (Sound). Im not getting any sound. I downloaded the newest drivers from the manufacturers site, then uninstalled all the 8330 devices and ran the uninstdrv.exe then reinstalled everything with the newest drivers. Everything went fine till it loaded the final device the WSS driver, this caused a BSOD necessitating a reboot. Upon rebooting I only get as far as a windows protection fault telling me to restart. I tried safemode and disabled the WSS and that gets the system up and running. What Im wondering is, am I missing something, is there a way to get the sound working ?

Thanks

22. squishee

squishee Private E-2

Limited resources and problems with 8330 causing a crash

Thanks but this is a favor, and the person has no cash whatsoever, so Im kinda limited to the equipment that is there a P 133 with 16mb ram and a 518MB hard drive.
    Any suggestions would be welcome,
    Thanks

23. squishee

squishee Private E-2

Yeah I know it has extremely limited capabilities, unfortunately it is what they want running, literally they dont have that 25 bucks and Im not really prepared to put into my pocket. Its taken up too much time already.

Thanks for having a think about it though.
    Cheers,
    JP

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds