Need help with new sata dvd writer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gargoyle_xlvii, Dec 9, 2010.

1. gargoyle_xlvii

gargoyle_xlvii Private E-2

I recently bought a new sata dvd writer. I have gotten the Bios to see the drive but WinXp Sp3 still does not see the drive.
    Asus model # DRW-24B1ST

Do I need driver for SATA drives? I have looked for drives but do not seem to find any.
    Here is the specs of what I have.

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS Service Pack 3
    CPU Type P4 3000 MHz (3.75 x 800)
    Motherboard Name MSI 865GM2-S / 865GVM-S
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale-G i865G
    System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award (09/17/04)

Bios report:
    80 GB Primary Master IDE
    200 GB Secondary slave IDE
    DVD Rom IDE Secondary master
    Asus DVD writer Master SATA

I ran a report using Aida32 and it list the following
    PCI Devices: Bus 0, Device 31, Function 2 Intel 82801EB ICH5 - Serial-ATA/150 IDE Controller

The bios recognizes all 4 drives. But when I look at "My Computer", the Asus dvd writer is not present or is it listed in the Device Manager.

WinXp is blind to its present.

Do I need a driver for it to see? I have looked and I can only find about a new install of winxp with sata driver nothing about separate installable drives. I have also gone to the Asus site but could not find any winxp drivers for sata drives.

There are no jumpers on the board or on the drive to change anything.

One other curious thing is while the bios is loading the dvd draw will open up but once winxp has fully loaded the draw will not open up. That is using the button on the front of the drive.

I have also tried the MSI site and Intel site to see if there are any driver , no luck there.

Any suggestions?

2. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

Try going into the Device Manager and see if there are any exclamation marks . Sometimes SATA controllers a/o drives show as SCSI devices.

Sam

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds