Need help with new slave hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlakeW2, Aug 7, 2005.

1. BlakeW2

BlakeW2 Private E-2

I recently bought a Seagate hard drive (160 gigs) model # ST3160023A and have installed it into my computer. Computer has apparently formatted the drive and it shows up on the device manager of my Windows XP platform, but despite running through a ton of programs that all say that the drive is present and working perfectly, I can't access it to use it. It doesn't show up on my Windowss explorer function.

I have used Seagate's software to try and remedy this, but to no avail and using the add hardware function of Windows XP doesn't work (it says that another installation is underway and two installations cannot occur simultaneously; this is a problem that has existed for a year on my computer).

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Sounds like it aint been assigned a Letter, try going to Disk management in Computer mangement and assign it a letter , also if you have a copy of Powerquest partition magic you can use that to assign ...

3. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

You can also use you windows xp install cd to partition the drive (do not go any farther than that...then that should make the bios detect and assign a drive letter...then once you get rebooted back into windows...goto my computer and right click on that drive, then choose format...that should resolve the issue, and once you format...you should be good to go!!

Roger

4. BlakeW2

BlakeW2 Private E-2

I will say it again, you guys absolutely rock!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds