Need help with partitioning my hard drive.

Discussion in 'Software' started by vasilyrud, Dec 19, 2009.

1. vasilyrud

vasilyrud Private E-2

So I am planning on installing Ubuntu, but before doing so I must add a new partition. I am planning on using EASEUS Partition Master.

I am wondering how I must manipulate my hard drive's partitions in order to add a new partition for Ubuntu. I currently have 2 partitions on my one and only 250Gb hard drive. (the two current partitions take up all the space)
    I have disk C: used for the Windows installation, and D: for backing up files (whenever I reinstall Windows, I can format my C: disk, while keeping the files on D: ). D: = ~37Gb and C: = ~195Gb. Both are NTFS

Now that I want to install Ubuntu, I am planning on making disk C: smaller by around 30Gb, and using this space to create a new partition for my new Ubuntu OS. Is this possible?

____________Previous Disk C:______________ | _____Disk D:_____
    __________Disk C:__________ | _New partition_ | _____Disk D:_____

If this is not possible, what would you recommend me to do? I need a way to create a new partition without losing the data on partitions C: and D:.

Also, here is a EASEUS Partition Master view of my current hard drive "settings".
    [​IMG]

So what would you suggest me to do?

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

What operating system do you use for C:? You have to be careful when changing the partition size on Vista or Win7. In those OS it is best to use Windows Disk Management to shrink the size of the partition. XP does not have this feature and Easus will work for XP.

I think Ubuntu will actually want to create two partitions. One small for swap space and one larger for the OS and your files. All you have to do is shrink C: by whatever amount of space (your 30gb is fine) and leave the space unallocated. I believe Ubuntu will partition the unallocated space during install.

Your diagram for the partitions looks good to me, except I would leave the "new partition" unallocated space. I believe in Easeus you just grab the slider at the end of C: and move it to the left to shrink the partition. You can experiment with the program without actually committing to the changes to see how things would look.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds