Need help with problems after installing Java

Discussion in 'Software' started by pantswithcomputers, Feb 21, 2008.

1. pantswithcomputers

pantswithcomputers Private E-2

I was told I had to download the follwing program after I had a virus as my current version was out of date and could pose a risk:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

But since I downloaded this program things have started to go wrong on my PC. The search assistant and system restore won't load, windows media player won't load and anything that requires javascript on the internet doesn't work - I can't even pick smilies in this message, or make the text bold etc. I also can't view any youtube videos.

Can anyone help me with this problem please? I have no idea how to rectify it. Javascript is enabled in my Internet Options, I've done virus scans and I don't have any viruses.

THANKS!

2. pantswithcomputers

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply.

Yup, I was told to unistall all versions prior to reinstalling Java, but nothing about a CCleaner or Registry - that's all a bit gobbledy goop to me I'm afraid :)

How would I do that?

BTW it wasn't anyone on here who told me to reinstall Java, it was a friend who works in IT.

3. pantswithcomputers

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply!

I've done all you've suggested and the same problems remain so perhaps the problems are nothing to do the actual Java program after all?????

So the problems are basically anything that requires javascript doesn't work (I've haven't been able to log in to some websites, or upload pictures on photobucket, I can't customise the text in this message, my emails in yahoo are completely blank... and offline System Restore and Search Assistant are completely blank, Windows Media Player won't load.)

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but when I go to Start>Run>regsvr32 jscript.dll it comes up as failed.

Any brain waves? :)

THANKS!

4. pantswithcomputers

Does anybody have any brain waves about this?

I've since tried downloading javascript from Microsoft and although it installed it put an error box up saying error registering the ocx c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Steve will probably come back with more expert advice than mine, but I don't believe it is a good idea to use the MS version of Java. It had loopholes if I remember correctly. Wait for Steve to come back to confirm, or correct, this. Bazza

===

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Thanks for the clarification, Steve. I was getting confused with Java and javascript also. :eek:

PS: @ Steve@, just uninstalled all old versions of Java and installed the latest version from Major Geeks. Now I only have one installed. Bit of an exercise deleting all the old ones but got there eventually. Bazza

7. pantswithcomputers

Update: I've finally had to reinstall Windows XP to get rid of the problem.

Everything is running fine now except that I think there may be a graphics problem?!?! For example when I scroll down a web page, instead of it continously scrolling down, it needs to load each time instead (does that make sense?) Also if I move a window across the screen it won't move smoothly, it will kind of jump each time its moved... is that to do with graphics?

Any ideas on how to solve it as it makes surfing the internet incredibly slow

Thanks!

:)

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Have you tried updating the graphics card driver?

9. pantswithcomputers

How would I do that?

10. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

First you need to know what graphics card you have so try this:

1. Select "Start"
    2. Choose "Run."
    3. Type "dxdiag" in the box and click "OK."
    4. Click "Yes" to the prompt, and the program will begin running.
    5. Select the "Display" tab and the Name listed under the "Device" section is the name of your graphics card.

Let us know what it is.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds