Need help with registry cleaning after malware removal

Discussion in 'Software' started by stuartie485, Jun 29, 2009.

1. stuartie485

stuartie485 Private E-2

I've just finished malware removal with the 'fantastic' Chaslang and he recommended that I post here for a registry clean up.

I also have to ask why C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe is running?
    I keep getting a pop up for MS Office 2000 SR1 telling me I'm trying to install a feature which is on the master CDrom disk. It happens very often when I'm surfing.

Once again, thank you in advance for your assistance - it is very much appreciated.

Stuart

2. Elder_Usr

Elder_Usr Sergeant

Hello Sutartie485.

Well it seems that possibly your MS Office 2000 may still be installed in your PC.
    Few questions first. Do you use MS Office 2000 at all? If not, I'd suggest removing it, and that should fix that issue, if you do. We can still assist. Also, why the MSIexec.exe is running, its probably due to the fact of why its prompting you for an install Medium. MSIexec.exe is used for installing/uninstalling programs. Its used also for when installing with the .msi extension.

Hope this sheds some light. :)

3. stuartie485

stuartie485 Private E-2

Thank you. Yes I use Office 2000 - mostly Word & Excel and would like to keep it. Also get an error when I open Word sometimes.

4. Elder_Usr

Elder_Usr Sergeant

Yeah. Unfortunately, DomLuc is correct. Your best bet if you don't still have the medium is to possibly try to see if we can get you setup with other software that does the same thing, as DomLuc has mentioned, I use OpenOffice all the time at home. Really great software :) 4.5/5

5. Elder_Usr

Elder_Usr Sergeant

True, and I apologize to Open Office, and their creators. :)
    Terribly wonderful application, but the reason why I stated unfortunately, is because he's already used to Office 2000. But, don't worry. Open Office ain't much of a change from the M$ Office Suite.

6. stuartie485

stuartie485 Private E-2

D/Loaded Open Office - like it, all an old yin needs! - dumped MS Office.
    Thank you (You guys are great)

7. Elder_Usr

Elder_Usr Sergeant

No Problem, have a great one. Enjoy Oo.org :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds