need help with something called GRUB

Discussion in 'Software' started by J J, Aug 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J J

J J Corporal

i installed suse linux 9.2or 3 and it messed with the bootsector and i got pissed off at it so i just deleted its partition on the hard drive and made the primary partion bigger now some GRUB stage 1.5 give me a error 22 which was to do with a bad partition and i no thats not true cause i got a floppy with a good boot setup and i can boot from it. THIS IS REALY MAKING ME ANGRY PLEASE HELP ME

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2005
  2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

There are a great many threads that talk about dual booting Windows and Linux, and all the associated problems.

What version of Windows do you have installed?

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

J J, please watch your language for the last time..

4. J J

J J Corporal

it is windows xp and wtf r u talking about? last time? u never talked to me before

5. J J

J J Corporal

btw im not tring to "DUAL BOOT" i could do that no problem i need to remove all traces of linux from my system

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

The best way to 'Fix' your HDD, is to use the Drive Manufacturers Tools, to prepare your drive as if it were a brand new drive being detup for the first time.

Do you know what brand of Hard Drive you have in your computer.

7. J J

J J Corporal

yeah its a western digital wd800

8. Shadow_Puter_Dude

9. J J

J J Corporal

a couple thing
    1: will i lose any data
    2:i guess what i want to now is how do i replace the bootloader from suse linux with the original bootloader from windows xp

10. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Yes, if you run the DLG you will lose all data.

Do you have a Knoppix Live CD? If so boot from the CD and make sure your windows partition is still readable. If not you can download Version 3.9 from Knopper.net. It is an ISO image so you will need to Create a CD from the Image.

If your Windows Partition is still readable do the below:

Please print out these instructions so that you can operate with All Browser Windows CLOSED.

To start the computer and use the Recovery Console to replace the boot sector

1. Insert the Windows XP Professional Setup CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.

2. Restart the computer. If prompted to press a key to start the computer from the CD-ROM, press the appropriate key.

3. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Press the R key to repair a Windows XP Professional installation.

4. If you are repairing a system that has more than one operating system installed, from the Recovery Console choose the Windows XP Professional installation that you need to repair.

Note:

·[font=&quot] [/font]If you press ENTER without typing a number, the Recovery Console quits and restarts the computer.

·[font=&quot] [/font]The Recovery Console might also show valid installations of Windows NT 4.0. However, the results of attempting to access a Windows NT 4.0 installation can be unpredictable.

5. When prompted, type the Administrator password. If you do not have the correct password, or if the security database for the installation of Windows XP Professional that you are attempting to access is corrupted, Recovery Console does not allow access to the local disks and you cannot replace the boot sector.

6. To replace the boot sector, at the Recovery Console command prompt, type:

fixboot [drive:]

fixmbr [drive:]

If you do not specify a drive letter, the Recovery Console replaces the boot sector of the system volume. If you need to replace the boot sector of a volume that is not the system volume, then you must specify the appropriate drive letter.

7. Type Exit, and the system will reboot. Make sure you remove the CD from the drive.

11. J J

J J Corporal

well something is not working right cause i did the recovery console AGAIN like u said and i still am having the stupid grub bootloader pop up

12. J J

J J Corporal

and yes i no its readable cause i can boot off a floppy with the files boot.ini and the other two files that windows boots from

13. Shadow_Puter_Dude

In the recovery console issue the command map and note the drive letter of your HDD.

14. J J

J J Corporal

THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK U :) :) :)

15. J J

J J Corporal

o btw the "fixmbr" need to be typed ALONE not with the drive letter that is why it didnt work the first time

16. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Sorry, that was my fault, I did a copy and paste of two seperate instruction files and forget to delete the [drive:] after fixmbr.

17. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I am not the only mod on the site.. we mods talk amongst eachother. Keep the language at bay and please spell out your words like an adult so we don't have to translate.

Thank you.

18. J J

J J Corporal

just to get you on as technicality its the ADULTS that STARTED curseing so yeah if u want me to talk like an adulti could be alot worse ;)

19. waltaja

waltaja Private First Class

i don't think they are talking about the swearing part. i think it was more of the, "what r u talking about" type stuff.

20. J J

J J Corporal

doubt it cause thats not what he edited out of my post

21. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

If you want to get technical, I can make it so you technically don't exist on the forum. Enjoy the site, but don't get lippy with those who try to maintain the peace on the board.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds