Need Help with Unusual CD Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ntstlkr, Jul 15, 2005.

1. ntstlkr

ntstlkr Private E-2

Cheers All,

I have a custom built machine, P4 1.8 GHZ on an Intell MB, running WINXP Pro (SP2). Here's the prob, I have 3 CD Drives, 2 internal (1 is a CDRW) and 1 external (CDRW). I don't think brands will make a difference as they are all diff brands.

A 2 monthes ago my machine stopped recognizing them, any of them. Checking in the DM shows that little yellow tag next to each signifying a prob.

My initial steps were to disconnect the drives, uninstall the drivers, then boot everything back up and reconnect the cd's, letting WINXP see the devices and reintsall the drivers. No joy there.

Then I did the same thing switching around various configurations with the IDE cable (connecting only 1 Drive, checking the switches in the back of the CD Drives, etc.) Again, nothing happening.

The error message (yellow tag/DM diagnostic) will always come up that the drivers are up to date and functioning but cannot access the device(s). Again this is after connecting only one or all.

What gets me is that if all the CD Drives were internal, connected through a single IDE cable I could understand, ok bad cable or something. But the external CD Drive is USB connected. What would cause a problem with both Internal and External connected CD Drives?

I've run Registry Mechanic thinking there's maybe a prob there, but nothing. My bios is up to date too.

So where should I go next? I'm a gamer and (no-cd) patches notwithstanding, not having access to my CD Drives is P*%$*^@ me off!

Would really apprecate some help!

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

What is the error code associated with the devices. It should say something like code 9 or code 13.

3. ntstlkr

ntstlkr Private E-2

I believe it was code 9 (sorry at work at the moment), trying to look up the error code in the help section proved hopeless as did a google search.

The way that ALL the drives were afflicted just puzzles me. They are not new drives (they've worked for the 2 years and a half previously at least), and the machine has been pretty reliable since I got it 3 years ago.

I'll be able to post the actual error code when I get home.

4. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;125174#XSLTH3231121122120121120120

I hate to sound like a broken record but have you tried updating your firmware? and what software did you install 2 months ago?

5. ntstlkr

ntstlkr Private E-2

I've updated the bios as a matter of routine last month after having gone through all the other stuff. I'll post the error code and what it reads when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the input Gents

6. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

Sound like your hardwares conflict, you remove device then restart windows for it fix automatically again. if it happen again test for ram first then set ID memory in device property. :D
    it rarely happen excepting your spare parts do not take in seat. or you get pro with OS.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

:confused:

His ram is fine if the system is stable.

I guess what we need to know is if for certain its an error code 9. I've seen this issue a million times, but with an error code 19, or 31. In which case, this article may help:

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

I think this is what Kodo was probably getting at and this problem would affect all drives.

Can we get a confimation on that error code?

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Code 31, Code 19,

aha!! damn my dislexiaforgetumnumberia but I was close. :)

9. ntstlkr

ntstlkr Private E-2

Cheers All,
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys, was out of town, but here are the error codes I get when I go through DM and reconnect the CD Drives.

It picks up the CDs pretty quickly but the yellow tag shows up too.

So I copied the properties for each to see the codes...

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Funny thing is that before they all read the error for Code 41 before.

So any ideas?

I've used Reg Mechanic too.

10. ntstlkr

ntstlkr Private E-2

11. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

"I've used Reg Mechanic too."

Last time I used registry mechanic my hard drive became undectable by windows so I had to use a data recovery app to restore all my data ... code 19 means it's missing from the registry... if removing adding the device from the device manager doesn't work .. you may be able to use system restore as well or doing scanreg /restore

12. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

follow the link that adrynaline posted

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314060

13. mark16093

mark16093 Private E-2

I had the error 39 problem on my system. I tried REGEDIT, but there were no UpperFilters or LowerFilters values.

Don't know what to try next ... other than a complete reinstall.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds