Need help with VB6 and JSON

Discussion in 'Software' started by Qapla, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Qapla

Qapla Private E-2

I have a thermostat that has WiFi. I can access it by a portal website that the maker of the tstat operates. I would like to be able to create a program for local access using VB6 (It is what I have and know how to use)

The problem is, the tstat - "The API is a simple RESTful architecture using POST and GET commands." They are using JSON

With Mozilla, I can access the tstat directly using the tstat's IP and I can read the info on a web-page. Someone did discover that using PEARL they can make changes on the tstat.

I have two problems with this. 1) I do not know PEARL 2) IE will not read the JSON and neither will the Mozilla component for VB6.

Any ideas on how I can proceed or what components I can d/l to read/access this device with VB6?

2. Qapla

Qapla Private E-2

I have been doing some research into the JSON. I have found some parsing information.

For my application, it is not the parsing that is my problem. What I need help with is "How do I get the information from the tstat to VB6 application?"

When I access the tstat IP with either IE or the Mozilla components it gives me a window saying it cannot read the page or offers to d/l a file.

I just wanted to make clear, it is getting the information to and from the tstat pages that are JSON based that is my problem. If I can get the information into my application, I am sure I can find a way to parse it.

3. Qapla

Qapla Private E-2

Two months and 200 views and still no thoughts, suggestions or even a stab-in-the-dark

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds