Need help with video card heat issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by petercordova86, Sep 9, 2008.

1. petercordova86

petercordova86 Private E-2

Hello I was wondering if you guys can help me....I just bought a Geforce 8800 gts and I was playing assassin's creed when all of a sudden the computer shuts off....I opened the computer and noticed that it was really hot in there...so what I did was put a normal house fan on it....I downloaded the program called HW Monitor....I was running assassin's creed and i recorded the tempuratures of my computer can you guys tell me if something is wrong?

if you need more information just ask me...thanks!

screenshot of tempuratures is included

Attached Files:

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Welcome to MajorGeeks! I am having some cooling issues with the 8800 GT as well. I have ordered a new heatsink and such for mine, and will post up the results when I get them up and running.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=169194

You might also post what case you have, and what fans you have on your computer. If a house fan helps you out, it sounds like you have poor air flow. Also, RivaTuner will let you crank up the cards fan speeds. Might be worth a shot. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download737.html

E

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The temps are a bit warm, but nothing to worry about in my opinion... however, take a look at your +12v reading. It is abysmally low, dangerous even. I think this is what is shutting down the PC. The +5v is real low too. What type of power supply do you have? Did you upgrade it when you bought the new video card? You can always try a different monitoring tool, but HWmonitor is very accurate, so I think those are the true readings.

Adding some fans is also a good idea; an 80mm up front blowing into the case across the hard drive(s), a side fan, an 80mm or 90mm or even a 120mm blowing into the case, plus a rear fan (90mm or 120mm) blowing out will give you great flow-through. That's the set up I have with my fans: 80mm up front + 80mm on the side + 120mm in the rear...

4. petercordova86

No I didn't upgrade my PSU it's a 450 watt raidmax

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I think it may be too weak for your set up with the 8800. I have a strong feeling it came with the case (that's how most people end up with RAIDMAX power supplies- nobody actually buys them separately). Stock PSUs are notoriously under powered and you should by a good name brand unit ASAP before you burn up something or start a small fire by over taxing the current PSU. Antec, CoolerMaster, ThermalTake, OCZ, Corsair are good brands. Look for something in the 550w to 650w range with either a large single 12v rail with over 35a, or two or more 12v rails with at least 18a per rail. I'm convinced that a PSU upgrade will solve most (if not all) of your problems, plus you'll be able to safely power additional drives and fans when needed....

6. petercordova86

So the temps arent the problem? when I took the screenshot I had a house fan on it....but about the PSU ill look into that

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The temps in the screen shot are not critically high and are not high enough to cause a system shut down or instability. Yes, they are a bit warm, but in my opinion they are not hot enough to be of any real concern at this time, especially when your 12v line is about half of what it should be! :eek
    Every device in the PC uses the 12v line; it is by far the most important power line in the PC. When it is cut in half, and all devices are getting only half the voltage they need, you're going to have some serious problems, and possibly some damaged components. Run the PC with the house fan for now but get a new PSU as soon as possible!!! You can get case fans at any PC shop for about $6ea for 80mm fans, maybe $15 or so for the 120mm. If the temps in the screen shot are in mid-game, then you're OK for now. But that 12v reading is too low to ignore. If you start HWmonitor right when you load to the desktop, it will record the Hi and Low for each item listed. If the 12v never is at 12v, then I would recommend leaving the PC off until you get a replacement. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, and you're free to wait for some other members to post with their advice. But don't say you weren't told!

(I have never seen a PC with such a low 12v reading. Check the BIOS and see what it reports for the 12v. Just be careful and try not to put any unneeded draw on the PSU until you get a new unit; but keep the recp't just in case I'm wrong.)

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm surprised the PC even turns on with the 12v reading just over 6v

9. petercordova86

well before I turn it on in the BIOS it stays at like 11.8X....when i lod it to goes down to 6.30

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I don't have much faith in software voltage readings. Everest shows mine at 5.something volts for the 12V. But dlb makes a very good point. A poor/weak PSU can cause all kinds of odd problems. You will be better of with a better, more powerfull PSU. That will eliminate one possible problem.

Do you by any chance have access to a digital multimeter? You can test your PSU with one. They are not very expensive and can be very handy.

The screenshot is Everest on my main computer... I checked with my DMM, 12.35V for the 12V, and 5.07V for the 5V. Seems a bit high on my 12V, I might look into replacing my PSU soon...

E

Attached Files:

11. petercordova86

well I can't purchase a PSU right now....wont have money till like a month....now the question is can I run my pc like this for a month? or will I be calling the fire dept soon?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds