Need help with Winamp streaming audio and .avi video

Discussion in 'Software' started by Meanfire, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Meanfire

Meanfire Private E-2

Can somebody help me with this application?

Whenever I try to stream audio the stream always breaks after X number of minutes. I'm not sure just what to set the buffer settings at under preferences ->plug-ins->IN_MP3.dll to stop this.

The odd thing is this - once the stream breaks it will not continue until I finally get up from what I am doing and touch the mouse. Then the stream buffers itself and continues for a while, but it will break again soon. I've deleted all the Shoutcast audio stations from my plylists because it is more hassle than its worth if I have to get up every five or ten minutes to fix the problem. And it seems as if it doesn't matter if the stream stops for five seconds or five minutes - perversely, it will not continue until I get up and attempt to fix it by reselectlng the channel. Although this isn't neccessary - as I said, as soon as I touch the mouse it corrects itself. So I've given up listening to radio and only listen to my mp3 collection. I can't relax to the radio - as soon as I'm relaxed I have to get up and fix the radio (Winamp).

If there's no way to fix it by changing the settings, I wish somebody could write me a script that would detect whenthe stream is broken for more than five or ten seconds, and try to rebuffer and reconnect. I only have so many mp3s to listen to. But as I said before, trying to listen to streaming audio on Winamp is more trouble than its worth. And of Winamp, RealAudio, and Windows Media Player, for free music it is the best of the bunch (though not currently). This has been going on for at least a couple months.

Should it matter, I am running Win XP Pro with AMD 2400+ Thoroughbred CPU, 768 MB of PC 400 RAM, and a Shuttle AN-35 Plus Mobo. I am running audio directly off the mobo. I have Cacheman running in the systray showing the free RAM, and since I'm just relaxing and not using the computer for anything when the stream breaks, I typically have at least 400 MB to 500 MB of free RAM (if this makes any difference).

I'd ask (or look) on the Winamp Forums, but it is one of the most poorly designed help sites on the web (next to AMD's own). This questin has probably been asked and answered, but I would have to sift through about 500 threads because of the poor relevance encountered when using the Winamp forum search engine. The only other option is ot ask hj at MusicLives Online, but I am already bugging him with one question ( I get no video output when viewing .avi files with Winamp - I'll copy the same question I asked hj, the private Winamp guru below in case somebody can help me with it).

Thanks one and all,

Jeff G

I hate to ask a question that's probably already been asked a few times or more. But I find that getting an answer to a simple question on the Winamp Users forum is like looking for a needle in a thousand haystacks, and I've searched all over the internet for a simple (and free) answer to my viewing .avi files.

Where do I get a plug-in (or how do I configure one of my existing plugins?) so I can view .avi video output?

I have Winamp v5.08e. Under "Video Playback" all five boxes under Video PLayback are checked off, only the 2nd box under "Fullscreen Video Playback" is checked, and only the 1st box under "Advanced Video Options" is checked.

For input plugins I have:
    IN_MP3.DLL
    IN_WM.DLL
    IN_MIDI.DLL
    IN_MOD.DLL
    in_vorbis.dll
    IN_MP4.DLL
    IN_CDDA.DLL
    IN_WAVE.DLL
    IN_NSV.DLL
    IN_DSHOW.DLL

Is that sufficient info for you to give me a clue where I can start to correct this problem? I did all kinds of internet research on .avi playback, and short of buying expensive software or new codecs I couldn't find any helpful information. And under Winamp Forums, there were many dozens of articles having to do with .avi and video playback. I read at least a dozen but none had anything to do with my problem it seemed.

The file I'm currently trying to see is titled stacykeibler315.wmv. I tried to obtain the hotlink prperties, but the file is hosted on Rapidshare, and they will not allow a direct link. If you go to

http://www.superiorpics.com/ubbthre...=805081&Words=&topic=1&Search=true#Post805081

And click on the hotlink at teh bottom of the top article it will tkae you to Rapidshare. Next there is a table to choose free account or premium account. Click on 'free' at the bottom of the left column, and in about a minute you will be able to download the file.

That is all the info I have that I think would be of help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds