Need Help with wiping laptop clean

Discussion in 'Software' started by DoeZ, Mar 10, 2010.

1. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

I'm hoping I'm posting this in the right forum...I need some help with my laptop...its an older one and I just want to totally restore it...I think this is what I want...I do not want anything on at all...no files nor programs...nothing...I'll add programs after I do this...I don't need to back anything up as everything has already been transferred to new laptop...Can anyone tell me how I do this please? I'm hoping that by doing this it will maybe be fast again...I really only want to use it for pleasure now...I won't be storing anything on it. Thanks for any help you can offer:wave

2. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

So are you wanting to just wipe the HD then right?

Try Killdisk freeware.

http://www.killdisk.com/

3. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

Ya I want to just start from fresh...I cant get it connected to internet yet either...trying to figure out how to link it to my wireless...

4. motc7

Then that's your answer. It will definitely kill all information and write zeros to your hard drive.

don't forget the thanks button. :-D (shameless promotion)

5. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

sorry I went back in to tell you I cant get into the internet yet...so how do I do this with out internet? And thanks...lmao

6. motc7

Well that is a problem.

You could goto an internet bar, library, etc, and download it to a USB stick and then run it on your system. You would boot to the USB when your computer starts up and then run Killdisk from there.

7. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

Ok let me ask you this...how do I get it connected to my wireless connection...I have a linksys router and it is secured...its asking for a key thing and I have no clue where it is or what it is...

8. motc7

Separate issue, but if the mods allow me some latitude? :cool:wave

I would reset the router, look for a reset button on the back or the bottom of it. That will reset it to default and I believe it will not have a password key to enter in to connect. Once you do that, you should be able to view wireless networks and then connect without issue...again, presumably. :major

9. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

Ok finally got connected...couldnt remember the password...geesh...ok running killdisk.com now...hope its not difficult :(

10. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

OK another question...I'm downloading it but dont know which one I need...the free oner obviously but there's a few to choose from...so I chose the suite free with everything...yes/no? Am I gonna have to install windows again?

11. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

Ok I dont have a clue on what I'm doing with this...why cant this be easy for dumb dumbs...I dont kno what I'm clicking and nothing is happening...all programs are still there...isnt there an easier way...maybe something I can understand? lmao

12. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

What's wrong with going back to factory settings? Why would any other software be needed? But then, not entirely sure what you are trying to do.

13. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

I just want to get absolutely everything of this old laptop and start from fresh...I dont want any of the programs that have been installed or anything on here...i just want to use it for personal use and its slow as it is thats why I dont want any programs on here...so how do I just totally make it new without any programs...

14. Kestrel13!

Usually this is achieved via formatting the machine. When starting up tap f8 (at least this is the way for my laptop) You need to state which make and model you have. Select the repair option when the screen pops up and then choose reset to factory settings. Others will chime in, I'm just trying to show you a way without using other software. If I'm wrong I'll disappear out the thread :-D

15. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

This is a old laptop...IBM Thinkpad...dont know what else you need...but i'm liking your way cuz I just want it empty like...if you can understand what I mean...I appreciate your help...

16. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

OK so I restarted and kept hitting F8 and do I need to go into safemode? Please help:cry

17. Kestrel13!

F12? Does that bring up the screen of options?

18. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

let me try...when I was pushing f8 it took me to the safe mode screen etc and i didnt see anything saying reset to factory settings...let me try f 12...

19. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Sorry if I am jumping in here without reading all the posts, but you need to go into the bios and make the cd drive your first boot option. Restart with the xp cd in the cd drive and choose boot from cd when prompted. Then you can follow the instructions to reformat and do a new installation.

20. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

Please dont confuse me more than I already am...lol...I dont know how to get to the bios...i do have the xp cd in the drive and i am restarting now...now what?

21. TimW

No....take the cd out of the drive. Reboot and pay attention to the screen as it boots up. There will be an option to hit maybe F2 or F1 or F12 to go into configuration...or bios. That is what you will need to do...just watch the boot up screen to see what key to hit.

22. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

Ok...I'm at the IBM BIOS Setup Utility screen...is this gonna totally clean this laptop to where there is nothing on it...thats what I'm trying to do...

23. TimW

Once you set the boot up to the cd drive as first option....and boot with the cd in the drive, you will be asked if you want to install. You choose yes and do a complete reformat. It will wipe everything.

24. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

And how do I set up the boot up? I'm totally lost here...have no clue...

25. TimW

I don't know how the IBM is set up, but probably use the arrow keys to scroll across to the boot tab and it should tell you how to change the order. Once that is done, probably F10 to save and exit.

26. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

I dont get what am I changing what to...I'm at the boot screen...

27. TimW

You need to change the boot order to boot first to the cd drive, then hard drive....up and down arrows IIRC. Instructions on changing the order should be in a box on the right.

28. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

I got a friend to walk me thru this...I think I got it its loading now...Thanks for all the help;)

29. TimW

Good to know. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds