Need help with workgroup issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CyCro, Aug 11, 2006.

1. CyCro

CyCro Private E-2

Hey guys, I'm having this strange problem. I can't see my own computer listed in my workgroup, neither can other computers see mine listed. If they run a search for my computer's name though, it appears in the search results and is completely accessible and browsable, according to the set permissions, of course. So my question is, what could be the reason that it stays invisible or how could I make it appear automatically in the list? I'm running Windows XP SP2 , Windows firewall is disabled, running another firewall that has the local network in its trusted zone, and I tried disabling the firewall loading on boot up and rebooting, and it didn't change anything. Any help will be appreciated. :)

2. pari22

pari22 Corporal

Does your DNS servers and WINS servers match with other pc's?

3. CyCro

CyCro Private E-2

No, because it's a VPN. Yet I can see the other computers. And even if I disconnect from the internet, I can't see my own computer in my workgroup in My Network Places, unless I specifially run a search for it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds