Need Info Before Upgrading

Discussion in 'Software' started by Clueless76, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Clueless76

Clueless76 Private E-2

Hello. I just received an old computer from my Dad, an HP 9600 Pavilion. It currently runs Win98 and I want to update to Windows XP, since that is what I use on my main comp downstairs. Is this even possible with this model? I know nothing about computers, so please provide as basic an answer as possible. Thanks.

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

you can read over this page: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&docname=bph06784&lang=en&cc=us

what it basically says is that it can run windows xp, but hp won't give you any support for it. the only real downside is that "not all drivers may be available", although i'm sure you'll have no problem finding them all. I've put windows xp on computers much slower than yours, and they run fine. If you think it's worth the upgrade, then go ahead. if you plan on getting a new computer soon, then i'd stick wiht 98 right now and wait it out (you know, to save money).

and welcome to the forums!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds