Need info on protecting laptop at free wifi spots

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by parrotmania, Aug 18, 2011.

1. parrotmania

parrotmania Private E-2

I understand what a Local Area Network means, in that computers are networked and share a server and firewall.

But I get confused when the term network is used when one is a sole user.
    Why is it called a network card, when I am the only user on my laptop.

I use free wifi a lot and every time I google info on how to protect my laptop in this environment, invariably there will be the term network flung around.

I am not on a network. I am a sole user using the ISP of a particular coffee shop or McD's.

If anyone could explain and/or recommend the best ways to protect one's laptop at free wifi spots, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Your network card is allowing you to connect to the "network" consisting of the web. If you did not have a network card, either wired or wireless, you would not be able to access anything outside the information that is contained on your hard drive, DVD/CD drive or flash drive that is physically connected to your comp. You are "joining" the network of the web when you access information from it.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

3. MadMal

MadMal Corporal

Here is my Firewall suggestion
    I use my Netbook at various public wifi hotspots daily and have Comodo Firewall with Defense+ as my first line of defense.
    I am certainly no expert but Comodo Firewall does have a great reputation and I am extremely happy with it.
    If you are interested here is my setup (after searching the Comodo forum)

Install Comodo Firewall with Defense+ (only use one 3rd party firewall at a time on your computer)
    Comodo should automatically turn off the Windows firewall
    I use Defense+ plus but you can disable it if you prefer to use some other HIPS security software.

Launch the Comodo interface by double clicking on the System Tray icon
    Select Firewall

Click on 'Stealth Ports Wizard'
    Click on 'Block all incoming connections and make my ports stealth for everyone'

Click on 'Firewall Behavior Settings'
    Click on the 'Alert Settings' tab
    UN-tick 'This computer is an internet connection gateway (i.e. an ICS Server)'

If you get a window popping up that says 'New Private Network Detected' don't answer, just click on the the X in the top right corner of the window to close the window as usual.
    I suggest you go to the More tab
    Click on Preferences > General tab
    UN-tick 'Automatically detect new private networks'
    Then you won't get the window popping up, you will still be protected.

You can always click on 'What do these settings do?' in the bottom left of those windows to read more at the Comodo website

These are the only changes I have made, all other settings are the Comodo default settings.

Safe surfin' dude :cool

4. parrotmania

parrotmania Private E-2

Thank you "guys".

If there is an icon to indicate a "thanks", I cannot find it.

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

the thanks button is in the bottom right corner of the post you wish to thank.

6. parrotmania

parrotmania Private E-2

It wasn't there before. How odd. I looked high and low and couldn't find it, and know that I did look there. Oh well, thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds