need monitor advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by judyw, Feb 23, 2008.

1. judyw

judyw Private E-2

I am interested in a flat screen monitor and I see that Walmart has a very cheap one labeled IC Power 19 in crt flat screen. I have no understanding about monitors aside from size. If adjustments are required, I wouldn't know how to do them. I have a rather old computer with xp. Is it just a matter of hooking up a new monitor to the tower? Are there special skills required or special hook ups? Does anyone know about this particular monitor and whether it is worth buying.

Judy

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I see that you said the one at Walmart is a 19" flat screen CRT. The term 'flat screen' in this situation is misleading. The monitor is a regular monitor with the front glass being flat instead of slightly rounded. This is not the same as a flat panel monitor, where the entire display is about 2 inches thick. CRT stands for 'Cathode Ray Tube' and means that it looks more like an old school TV. When you're looking for a true 'flat screen', be sure you see LCD listed in the description, otherwise you may be surprised by what is being sold as a flat screen. I have never heard of that brand, but most new electronics products come with standard 1 year warranties regardless of brand. And just a word from the wise, I would no sooner buy computer components from Walmart than I would buy car parts from 7-11. Buying PC stuff from the same place you'd buy your socks and underwear just doesn't seem right.

3. judyw

judyw Private E-2

I really do appreciate your taking the time to explain all this to me. I knew I would be able to come here and get the help I needed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds