Need more ethernet ports. FiOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GatorsUF, Jan 23, 2013.

1. GatorsUF

GatorsUF Private E-2

I have FiOS internet, and I use the Actiontec FiOS router that was given to me by Verizon. I have come to the point that I need more than 4 ethernet ports though.

2 - Desktop PCs
    1 - Bluray Player with DLNA streaming
    1 - Xbox360
    1 - Wifes work phone hooks into internet
    1 - Security system

I was curious since the Security system, xbox, and dvd player are on the other side of the house. Can I plug one of the ethernet cables I ran over there into my old router and use it to feed all 3 devices?

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hi GatorsUF.
    You can use the procedure outlined at the website below to use the 2nd router as a switch only to generate more ports to hardwire devices into. This gives you instructions on how to set up the IP address on the second router. You would then use 1 port on your Actiontec router to run a cable to the second router. Leave the WAN port open on the second router and use a regular port for the cable from the Actiontec. This gives you 3 free ports at each router to wire devices.

http://ezlan.net/router_AP.html

3. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Simply purchase an 8 port or 16 port switch and take one port and connect it to the router and use the other 7 or 15 ports to connect your equipment. Low end 8 port switches are about $60.

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Sorry........I didn't see that some of your equipment was not able to be wired to the router due to location. Ibmest has a good suggestion.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds