Need no Multithreading in my i7-4770K CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by randl, Feb 4, 2014.

1. randl

randl Private E-2

I have an Intel i7-4770K CPU, it is quad core multithreaded to 8 processors, however, I have a program which loads lots of data every second BUT only works on one thread. The program was running well in an old duo core CPU, but now it freezes seconds at the time for data waiting in queue.

I need to remove the threading that the Haswell CPU is doing to at least use 25% of the CPU instead of the 12.5% being used now.

Is there a way to do this?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The easiest and most temporary way is when you start it, remove the extra cores from the process in task manager.

It shouldn't really matter. If an application is single threaded, it runs on a single thread and that is all there is to it, regardless of CPU.

3. randl

randl Private E-2

I will try that. It does matter, right now my Task manager shows 8 CPUs running. If I take multithreading out, it will show 4 CPUs running. In essence this will double my one cpu being used to be 2 times bigger.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

But it doesn't, aside from maybe some weird compatibility issue. Are you sure its not a Hyperthreading issue?

if I write an application that is single threaded, its not going to run multi-threaded. It is a very deliberate action, and not something decided upon by the CPU.

5. randl

randl Private E-2

OK, I did it. save everything and
    restart the machine --> enter BIOS (F2 or Delete while booting) --> Advance Menu --> CPU Configuration --> Hyper-Threading --> Disable --> Exit --> Save.

Now I only have 4 CPUs running.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Did it help?

7. randl

randl Private E-2

Yes it did.

I do not have a lag in my orders any more. It is still not as fast as my old machine but fast enough so I can work with it now.

If Programs are not written to take advantage of the Multi-threading the new CPU's can do, they actually become dogs in a pound. This is one of them.

They tell me the programmers are aware of this and the next release will make use of Intel's Multi-threading but meanwhile I had to do something to improve the lag time.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You know, we could probably set it up to choose one core and stick with it.

Let me know if interested.

9. randl

randl Private E-2

Thanks, I am not sure I understand. Is it difficult? and, If it does not do anything for the speed of the App in question, can I roll it back?

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its completely reversible and if the app is running slower on a a gen 4 i7 vs. a core 2 duo...it might help. Sounds like it wasn't coded very well.

I can code a little application to do this for you, and then you will use the application to launch your program with the modified settings. That way there is no modification to the application or its shortcuts.

Let me know if interested.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

This may not work on all applications, but it did for the three or four I tried and it successfully sets the app to a single core. With this, you theoretically should be able to re-enable hyperthreading so that you don't gimp the rest of your computer applications and OS.

I also didn't have time to add a delete feature, so if you want to edit or remove saved entries, the file is named AppList.txt and is in your user folder.

To use it is simple:

Unzip and run it. Requires .NET 4.0 or higher if you don't have it.
    Click browse and find the exe for your program.
    Click ok on the file chooser.
    Click add to add it to the list.
    Double click the entry to launch the app with a single core affinity.

It doesn't modify anything and to revert the changes, simply close the program and relaunch the application that used it.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds