Need recommendations for favorites management - organization, update, and on-line

Discussion in 'Software' started by Merry, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Merry

Merry Private E-2

I have two desktops running Win98SE and Win2K/P respectively, and a PowerBook running Mac OSX. (Geek? Who, me? No way... a power user and wannabe geekette at best.)

I have a TON of favorites organized into folders and subfolders and in some cases sub-sub-folders in IE. I want to get away from IE on the Win machines, so have tried Opera and am going to try Firefox next. I use Safari on the Mac. I used to use Netscape 4.7 but never went to 6, so never installed it on the Win2K and mostly keep the 98SE for running some favorite games that have to have that separate DOS shell.

I'd like your recommendations for software that will make managing all those links easier. Here's my wish list:

*Able to organize and find favorites - labels or keyword search would be good (I already have Google Desktop, and love it)

*Able to share favorites between browsers, or be able to access from multiple browsers, or be able to import/export without losing the folders and subfolders

*Able to search for dead links (even better if it can recognize that the site has been redirected to one of the "buy this domain" or other portal pages that dead websites often end up pointing at, but I'm not sure that's possible)

*Able to advise when sites are updated, preferably with some ability to control which sites and how often it checks and how much of an update gets flagged (again, I'm not sure that last is possible)

I'm also looking for the best site to use for on-line favorite storage, so I can access them from anywhere and have a good backup. Alternatively, I'd settle for a good utility for managing a page of links on my domain. (This also seems the best way to access favorites from the Mac.)

Free is good but I'm willing to pay a reasonable price for software that does the job. I always like to support the programmers when I can.

I know I'm asking for the moon here, but I don't really expect to find this all in one neat little free package. So give me your best recommendations for dealing with favorites and I'll go from there. (I love checking out new software!)

Thanks!

Merry

2. Merry

Merry Private E-2

...or maybe I am a geek, sitting here reading this site on Thanksgiving!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds