Need some advise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tcharlton, Aug 19, 2006.

1. tcharlton

tcharlton Private E-2

Hi there, I am currently having problems with my computer. About a month ago it just stopped turning on the screen wouldnt come on with the exception a few times and it would just freeze. Then one day it just started to work again. A few days ago it stopped working again. Now all that happens when i turn the computer on is the monitor light blinks like the computer is on standby, I know that this would happen if it were a video card error but I have tested it with another card and it still did not come on. Has anyone had this happen to them before? and if so how would I go about starting to fix it.

Thanks

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Have you tried a different monitor?

3. tcharlton

tcharlton Private E-2

I tried my monitor on another computer and it worked fine

4. gigabyte

gigabyte Private E-2

are the fans turning in the power supply and or on the mother board bad power strip or surge portector?

5. tcharlton

tcharlton Private E-2

how do you tell that just by listening or is there a program?

6. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

You can hold your hand to the rear of the pc and feel if any air is blowing out of the power supply, also pull the side panel off the side and look and see if the fan on the large heatsink is running, sounds kinda like a heating problem, might just be lots of dust on the inside, you will have to open the case to see, let us know what you find. ed

7. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Really sounds more like a "Cold Solder" joint on the MB from what you have stated so far, the suggestion of trying another monitor on your "Troubled" comp will verify it. "Cold Solder" joints work fine for awhile then act up then can work again, the cure is to reheat the connections, which should be done by a qualified tech who knows what they are doing. You have to know which connections to check. Hope that helps

8. tcharlton

tcharlton Private E-2

The computer seems to be starting up most of the time now, just the programs are taking forever to load up, for example firefox takes about 5 minutes to load the first time, its a 3000+ process with a gig of ram so I doubt that it should happen, I dont really know what a motherboard does that would affect the speed that much?

9. padams

padams First Sergeant

have you scanned your pc for malware in a while? also might want to defrag and run ccleaner on it if you haven't. might be some kind of a bug or something slowing down your pc cause it shouldn't run that slow.

here's the link for ccleaner if you don't have it.

10. tcharlton

tcharlton Private E-2

yeah ive scanned it with trend online, norton, cceaner, spybot and the microsoft one. Its a wierd problem could it be the motherboard?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds