Need some help OCing my CPU from 2.0 to 2.2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spawndemon0, Feb 18, 2010.

1. spawndemon0

spawndemon0 Corporal

I know its risky but I still wanna try it.
    so can someone give me a step by step guide on what to do to safely OC my AMD athlon 2.0GHz CPU? :yum :confused

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

3. spawndemon0

spawndemon0 Corporal

Its custom built
    and I read that
    it didn't really help
    can you simplify what I need to do please?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Post your exact system specs...
    mobo,cpu,memory and psu
    what ya using for cooling cpu
    FYI There is no safe way to OC, always risk of hardware failure and data corruption

5. spawndemon0

spawndemon0 Corporal

mobo is a Lanparty 250gb mobo
    cpu is an AMD athlon 2.0ghz processor
    memory is a Kingston value ram 1gb
    and PSU is a Thermaltake 480watt

and I'm using a standard heatsink I think its aluminum? I know it isn't copper though

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

7. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Step by step guide,

never overclock in high amounts, always change th fsb in increments of 10. So up the fsb by 10MHz save and boot if it gets into windows go back and do it again.

when you have upped the FSB by 60MHz then you need to stress test with prime 95 for 1 hour whilst monitoring the temps. with hardware monitor or real temp. do not let the temps go above 60 degrees c.

if everything is fine you can keep upping by 10MHz untill 60MHz increase again, then stress test using the method above and so on and so on.

when you get to an OC that will not boot that is where you go and change the voltage, only go to the next available voltage if no boot up it again.

when you get to an overclock your happy with stress test with prime 95 for 7 hours whilst monitoring the temps.

When you get no boots it may be neccesarry to do a CMOS reset however you wont have to start upping by 10MHz each time again just go back to the figure you had before it became unstable

Now remember, this is just my opinion, there are different methods, just a matter of personal preferance. Just dont go crazy in the voltages for now, until you learn some more!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds