need some help understanding mobile broadband

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sheena, Aug 3, 2011.

1. sheena

sheena Corporal

Being raised in the paleolithic, I am lost in a forest of wireless technology. I have tried reading up on this, but still confused.:confused I would like to get rid of my cable phone company and switch from dial-up. I would like to lose the landline altogether. As I understand it, I can buy something that will connect me to a cell phone network. All I want is a higher speed connection for my desktop, an older business machine. Will a dongle thingy for a cell phone network work for that as I don't want to use a cell phone. Just the computer and the thing that makes it possible. Is getting a card from a cell phone network and paying them monthly the only way to get this, or are there other options?
    Thanks, Sheena

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

You can't get higher speed than cable at least around me its 50Mbps, same as fiber. DSL is next in line with 6 - 15 Mbps. Then wireless from a cel company (called mobile broadband) then dial up comes in last place, I don"t know how that plays into you wanting "a higher speed connection".

Dumping your landline, you can get a smartphone that can double as a wireless access point. Most wireless companies are limiting their broadband usage. Sprint is still *unlimited*.

So you had a cable company phone service for dial up Internet access?

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Mostly true, but point to point wireless from an isp can reach much much higher speeds if your willing to pay for it. Most choose not to due to large fees, but you can do wireless at a high rated of speed.

4. dadsnobest

dadsnobest Private E-2

Hi, when you say 'cable phone company' i'm guessing you are talking about a land line for phone service only, no cable TV, right ? If so do you live in an area where cable TV is avalible ? If 'YES' is the answer, thats your best option for Internet.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds